Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

temp gauge and heater

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamesnau

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: temp gauge and heater Reply with quote

Greetings UBBers,

I haven't posted in a while because the old '85 325e is going strong, save for two nagging problems:

1. The engine temp gauge reads low and is jumpy. I thought the problem was the sender, so I replaced it. No change. Then I thought it was the thermostat because the output from the heater is low, so I replaced it. No change. Then I thought a bad connection, so I cleaned the ground connection under the dash and the connection on the gauge itself after pulling the cluster. No change. OK, I need some suggestions....bad solder joint on the printed circuit board in the cluster? Bad gauge itself?

2. Second, and I think unrelated problem, is low heater output. Changing the thermostat did no good. Thought maybe there was an air pocket in the heater, so I bled the system. Front end on ramps, fast idle, opened bleed screw. Bled for a good 15 minutes with varying engine speed. Couldn't tell if any air was expelled...the stream looked steady. While the heat output seemed a little better, it still feels cool to me. Could it be that the heater control valve isn't opening fully? It is 28 years old after all. I will drive the car for a week or so and bleed again. Any other suggestions? If it is the valve, it is NLA...suggestions?

Thank you in advance,
Jim
'85 325e, born October 1984
220K miles, original owner
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: