Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heater won't go off. Rear defroster won't go off…help!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Heater won't go off. Rear defroster won't go off…help!!! Reply with quote

I've got a problem.

1. The temp display and time went blank. No problem. Didn't need it. Thought the pixels were just dead.

2. They just came back on by themselves a day or two ago.

3. Driving west now…long days. Cold this mrng. Turned on the rear window, defroster. It would NOT turn off.

4. AND the heater (rotatry dial) would not turn off. And the light for the heater and a/c would not go on. And the a/c would not work.

5. Seems the control panel is all nuts and dysfunctional.

ANY IDEAS OR SUGGESTIONS OR CLUES OR HINTS

Heat is constantly ON and rear defroster is constantly on and a/c won't go on. help….help….help
geminiys

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the Blower Resistor needs replacing but please search the forum for alike problems to be sure.
Henry

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Climate Control Unit went bad. BMW no longer supports this part. ProgRama of Boca Raton remanufactures unsupported parts. Offers
3 year warranty for very little cost. Their site is http://programainc.com/

Since bmw doesn't offer parts to us anymore…this is a good place to shop.
PJK

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Henry,

When you say the Climate Control Unit, do you mean the unit in the dash or the computer? They are seperate in early e36s like yours with the rotary control.

Since the rear defroster is also not turning off I would suspect the dash unit. While you have it out look at the gearbox which controls the air doors. That part got updated and the new part is much better. The old part has cam followers on one side of the cam wheel while the new part has one follower on each side. At least that is what my old memory is saying.

Now joging the old memory bank I think the gearbox is a seperate part. There is a flexible cable going from the knob which controls air discharge (face vent, diffrost, or floor) to the white nylon cam wheel which I mentioned. Like I said, big difference in your ability to direct the air to where you want it.

If you want to be able to have air out of all the vents at the same time as in an e30, I can tell you how to do that. That is a simple electrical mod.

Phil

Henry wrote:
The Climate Control Unit went bad. BMW no longer supports this part. ProgRama of Boca Raton remanufactures unsupported parts. Offers
3 year warranty for very little cost. Their site is http://programainc.com/

Since bmw doesn't offer parts to us anymore…this is a good place to shop.
walshja

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, what do you mean out of all the vents? defrost, dash, and footwell?

I'm interested !!

1994 325iC, 195k miles
http://home.comcast.net/~walshja/index.html <--- check it out

PJK

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe,

I am marking up the schemo from the ETM. It had my original markings but I'm cleaning up to copy better. It has been a while since I put graphics on a post on this forum. I think it has to be hosted somewhere else like Photo-Bucket.

The concept is that the floor vents and defrost vents are controlled by the cam-wheel driven by the air delivery knob. The face vent however is controlled by a stepper motor. There is a switch in the control head which is also operated by the same knob. When the knob is pointing to the face vent position the switch is open. This tells the computer to open the face vent door. There is no partial opening of the face vent. It is open or closed. If the line from the control head to the computer is interrupted with a toggle switch the face vent will be open if the added switch is open regardless of the position of the knob. With the switch closed the face vent operates as it did. With the switch open and the knob pointed between the floor and defrost position air flows from all of the vents as in an e30 with all three of the sliders to the right position.

After I get the image hosted I'll try to figure out how to get it here.

Phil

walshja wrote:
Phil, what do you mean out of all the vents? defrost, dash, and footwell?

I'm interested !!
[img][/img]
PJK

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe,

I got the marked up schemo into Photo Bucket but I can't figure how to link to it. I am pretty sure you can help me. What can I say, I'm a hardware guy and I'm sleepy now.

Phil
walshja

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some things will never change Phil.

You can fix an E36 blindfolded, but still can't post a picture to the forum !!!! I love it !!!! LOL

When you are in Photobucket, right click on the image, then choose 'copy image location'

Then in a post here, right click and choose 'paste'.

I think that should do it !!

1994 325iC, 195k miles
http://home.comcast.net/~walshja/index.html <--- check it out

PJK

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe,

I right clicked on the image and did not get that choice. I have about reached my limit of frustration with Photo Bucket. I thought I had your e-mail but I seem to have lost it. If you give it to me I'll e-mail the picture to you and maybe you can post it.

This is embarasing, but I'm a software challanged hardware guy.

Phil

walshja wrote:
Some things will never change Phil.

You can fix an E36 blindfolded, but still can't post a picture to the forum !!!! I love it !!!! LOL

When you are in Photobucket, right click on the image, then choose 'copy image location'

Then in a post here, right click and choose 'paste'.

I think that should do it !!
PJK

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I got it.

With the added switch open and the knob between the floor vent and defrost, air will be discharged from all vents as in an e30 with the three sliders in the full right position.

Phil
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks…It was the unit behind the dash. I was in a rush to travel..drove NYC to Santa Fe..stayed in Santa Fe one week and than return drove to NYC. Did not have time to pursue more than the specifics…Am glad there is an update for those 'doors' as the original set up is noisy when activated. That was a lot of driving however keeping the speed to within limits of 65-75 as posted I was able to achieve the best mileage ever…before leaving SF I had Discount Tires balance…and consistently got between 33 and 35+++mpg. I was amazed as the vehicle is 20 years old, wearing snow tires (what snow???) and 75 isn't exactly slow. I was really easy on accelerating though…This is on a 1992 318is with an M-42 and 257,000 miles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: