Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pre-paint trim, etc removal tips, please?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tncean

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Pre-paint trim, etc removal tips, please? Reply with quote

Will not be painting front/rear valances or lower rocker panels. Wise to get some replacement clips for trim? Thinking it wise to remove trim? How to remove badging? Plan to replace roundels.
Door handles?

Thinking on painting bumpers myself, save some $.
Will be doing base/clear, oem color, which is glacier blue/silver metallic.

Tips, advice, welcome.

tncean

m78

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roundels come off quite easily. Either use a screwdriver and be sure to cushion the body below the screwdriver, or get one of those coated body shop tools that have a rubber coating that prevents damage to the body parts. They simply pull right off. There's no fastener on the back side.

The model number is stuck on with adhesive. I pulled mine off just recently. Go slowly and use a small screwdriver or x-acto knife with a cloth behind it to cushion the pressue. They are made of plastic and I'm not sure if I want to put them back on or even get replacements. But if I eventually do it, I'll probably install brand new ones.

as for the trim. I would definitely get some replacement fasteners.
I'm going to have to do this myself soon. I am going to get some of that sun light resistent black spray paint from Wurth.

Top Speed 220 km/h

(OO=00=OO)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: