Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

question about interior cloth (on the "ceiling")

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dg27

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: question about interior cloth (on the "ceiling") Reply with quote

I do not know what the correct term is for the cloth that covers the "ceiling" of the interior, so please forgive me.

On my328is, this cloth is coming away in a few spots right where it meets the windshield. I can't really tell what the material is underneath (I assume it's plastic).

Can someone recommend what kind of glue I might try to reattach it?
Should I try some kind of fabric glue?

The interior is otherwise very clean for a '98 and I';d like to take care of this.

dg

PJK

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: question about interior cloth (on the "ceiling" Reply with quote

Hi dg27,

The cloth of which you speak is call the headliner.

Sorry, I have no competence in replacing or repairing headliners and would have to go to an upholstery shop.

Phil

dg27 wrote:
I do not know what the correct term is for the cloth that covers the "ceiling" of the interior, so please forgive me.

On my328is, this cloth is coming away in a few spots right where it meets the windshield. I can't really tell what the material is underneath (I assume it's plastic).

Can someone recommend what kind of glue I might try to reattach it?
Should I try some kind of fabric glue?

The interior is otherwise very clean for a '98 and I';d like to take care of this.

dg
dale

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dg,
Try some of this from 3M

http://www.amazon.com/3M-38808-Headliner-Fabric-Adhesive/dp/B004MEBENM/

Dale
sold in 2016
87 325 5spd eta
dg27

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Dale. I'll keep this in mind in the future. I took care of this before I saw your post.

The repair I needed to do was very minor: The headliner was sagging in three spots about three inches long each. In a pinch I bought a glue called Beacon Multigrip at an arts and crafts store.

http://www.amazon.com/Beacon-Adhesives-Company-MG4D-Multi-grip/dp/B001AKVCR4

It has a honey-like consistency, so I just squeezed some out on a piece of cardboard and applied it with an artist's #6 brush (flat, about 1/4 inch wide).

It dried clear and did the trick for now.

dg
Banjoman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Headliner Headaches... Reply with quote

I have some more extensive headliner repairs to make.

Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations?
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had experience with the headliner separating and door panel fabric separation. I tried the 3M product and Wurth High Temperature Spray Adhesive. The best consumer products available. They didn't to the job.

Fortunately my answer to the problem was modest in expense and quite elegant in execution.

Am certain if I was in my home town of NYC this would have not been an easy and satisfactory solution. However, I was in Santa Fe NM and there's an auto reupholstery shop that is excellent and fair.

I was offered a fabric quite similar to the original product or a fabric that was quite different. I chose the different product. OE fabric is either unavailable or quite expensive.

The fabric I chose was a dark gray and has a thick texture...do not think shag rug...please. However, the fabric could take a lot of adhesive and it wouldn't seep through. The contrast with the light gray is very tasteful. And as guide...I left the sunroof alone...the light OE fabric was fine. And, again, the contrast is perfect while allowing for operation of sunroof.

A word on the doors. Be very , very careful in separating the door trim from the door. The trim is fragile. I really do mean fragile. The sun heat has done it's job and the foam inside is about ready to return to its original elements...so handle with extreme care. And the clips must be carefully handled though I believe they can be replaced.

In the event the actual door panel is cracked or manhandled (it's really thin) you are out of luck. Yes, you are done for. As of 2 years ago there might have been 6 or fewer pieces of either side remaining in Germany. The cost of each was multiple of hundreds of dollars. If you are thinking of a junk yard as I did...well, they like to sell the door intact.

And this is about all I can say about this. Handle with extreme care, be flexible with fabric choice if at all possible and get your prices established beforehand and, finally, check out the work of the shop repairing or replacing the parts.

I suspect that many of us are driving around with sagging ummmm...fabric...shall I say. After all, some of our vehicles are 20 years since leaving the factory. There's no need for those pretty parts to sag. Not if you take care etc. Yeah, sagging car parts... Well the serious part of this post is serious and I don't know anything else to say.

happy trails and let's age gracefully and with beauty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: