Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another A/C fix done - what's proper charge pressure?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soviet Sniper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Another A/C fix done - what's proper charge pressure? Reply with quote

Hello all.

It is finally about time (mid August) that I fixed the A/C in my E30 (I think). Long story short - I made all new lines, used stock E30 condenser and evaporator, new r134 expansion valve and receiver/drier, and e36 compressor (it's an s52 swap car, for those curious about how it all worked out I can take some pictures later Cool).

Vacuumed it today for 3 hours. Shocked
Charged with 24 oz of r134 (2 cans).

The ambient temp was only 70F, and humidity 54%. I am getting 35psi low and 175psi high on the gauges. When the car warms up, the pressure goes up to 40 low and 200 high. This looks normal, right? But the vent air temp is only slightly below 60s... at idle in the garage.

Even though, this is much much better than I ever had before on this car (warm air Laughing), it appears to be somewhat warm, doesn't it? Sad

What did I do wrong? I know the stock E30 condenser and evaporator do not provide the most efficiency with r134, but it seems people were still getting much colder output temps with those.

I found some pressure/temp/humidity specs here:

According to the chart, given the ambient temp and humidity, my pressures were supposed to be only about 14psi low and 102psi high... I had that much with just one can of r134, this can't be right,.. Or can it?

Did I use too much refrigerant? The capacities for both e36 and e30 are listed around 2lb. I am using a hybrid system, and my DIY hoses could not reduce the system volume that much, but my charge by weight appears too low (1.5lb) while my pressures appear too high.

I can always let some refrigerant out of the system, that's easy, I just thought I should ask first. Wink

Any ideas?
Thanks.

1988 325is | 199k+ | First car (now s52 powered) Cool
1992 Saab c900 | 200k+ | Winter vehicle
1982 Virago xv920j | 25k+ | Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: