Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

E30 Engine swap problem?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GWilliamT

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject: E30 Engine swap problem? Reply with quote

1985 325e 5 spd needs an engine swap. Got a replacement engine, but I think the replacement engine is from an '84 with automatic gbx, and I don't have any recourse with the supplier. Can I swap in the flywheel from my old engine and bolt up the 5 spd, or is this a problem? What can I and can't I do?

Thanks for an insight.

I have a feeling this project is starting to go south (as in disappear).

See all UnofficialBMW Ads
85-325e

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

William:

Your best would be to PM Dale... if anyone would know the anser to this question, it would be he, but he's not up here on this forum that much anymore as it's not as active as the forums for the more current cars. Just find a post by or two him from the forum list, and choose the PM button... He's had more of these cars apart during his racing days, and even after, that almost any of us up here.

I wish I had the answers but don't. Your flywheel, like mine, has a pin on the side that spins around, triggering the two sensors on the bellhousing of the tranny, which connect to the electronics of the motor, above the rear end of the valve cover (at least the bracket for the connections is there).

You'll get it... of course, the worst case scenario, if the engine is a good running engine, is to get a used auto tranny for the car from one of the parts houses.

Still, I don't think the engine is specific to any specfic type of gearbox. the Germans are way too organized and structured for that. Plus, people up here have done the auto to manny conversion. As a matter of fact, do a few searches for manual to auto transmission, transmission swap etc... you'll get a lot of info I think...

dale

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

William,
In case you still have a question, yes you can swap the flywheel, and be sure to install a pilot bushing in the end of the crank for the input shaft.

New bolts for the flywheel are a great idea.

Hope you kept this E30 on the road.

Dale
sold in 2016
87 325 5spd eta
GWilliamT

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back on the road. Running well. I was working in 100+ weather that day and when my brain cooled of I realized I was in a quandry about nothing.

Only the usual small things to deal with now. Rear shocks, broken spring in driver's seat, RF power window motor not working, . . ..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: