Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Most of our old e30 is now on the road again...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
haber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Most of our old e30 is now on the road again... Reply with quote

Some of you may recall we had an 86 e30 that was t-boned and the body shell a complete loss. After this my son had purchased two e30's about a year apart, the first an 84 318i 2 door and the next a 91 325i. Both of those cars are running now basically thanks to the original donor. Here's a run down if your curious...

The 86 325e was bought nearly new by us.
The 84 318i with a bad motor, probably bad trans for about $250.
The 91 325i with a noisy engine and bad trans for $450.

Daughter's car, the 91, basic grad school transportation:
Was running first back around Christmas but then broke a rocker this spring, you can read about it. That's been fixed but now but prior to this it had a 4hP transmission, driveshaft, steering rack, shocks, struts, brakes, full exhaust, sunroof panel(repainted black), dash(with some cracks), aux fan, rearview mirror, and loads of other small things that came mostly from the 86 but a few items from the 84. Parts we stole from this car included the full BMW moonroof, crack free dash and map mirror that willl go on the 84. Running fine and approaching 300k miles.

Son's project, the 84 'Unicorn' as we call it, because it will have many unusual e30 parts and started out as a lighter 4 cyl car never meant for a 6 cylinder...
The 84 has been driven a few times now but is not really road legal yet having only brake lights and no other lights or bumpers. It has the 86 motor and too many other things to mention that have come from multiple sources new and used. An M50 or other motor swap may be in the future but for example it has a super eta 5 speed swap with 14 lb flywheel, H&R springs & Billy Sports all around, Team Dynamics 16" wheels with 205 Kumho 4X tires, engine chip, i exhaust, performance chip, e36 rack and tie rods, modified suspension mounts, battery moved to trunk(that was fun), new brakes etc etc... With this setup and 3.64 diff the motor and car is nothing like the 86 eta it mostly came from. Corners like a slot car and pulls hard (like my M6) but runs out of revs a little quicker.

I wish the 84 was done like the 91 but the spare parts have dwindled down and you can almost walk through the garage and basement again. I'll try to put up a few pictures sometime soon.

dt325ic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great that yall are keeping them on the road.

The '84 sounds like it will be a lot of fun to drive! Is this the one that got the new paint job a while back? Please post pics when you can.

Dane
'88 325iC
haber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the white one with our backyard paint job. It's gonna get a little more work and some touch ups here and there before final polish, etc. It also looks just as good underneath since my son did the underbody with 3M stuff and all the subframes etc with one the super hard satin black paint, Chasis Saver I think.

There's hardly a part on the 84 that has not been at least cleaned and most refinished. Not not like new but closer than most. Fun to work on cause everything is clean easy to see.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: