Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will a 94-95 engine swap to a 98 328i?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyshadetreebmw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:45 am    Post subject: Will a 94-95 engine swap to a 98 328i? Reply with quote

Hey Team, been a while since I talked with you. I appreciate your keeping this site going. Well my 98 328i blew its head gasket after a couple of overheats due to failing plastic parts of the cooling system.!! I don't have time/space to handle that job and shops have quoted $2600 for doing it. But I could handle swapping an engine and quickly found one local for $700 but it is from a 94 or 95 (guy not sure) E36. It has 115K miles and includes ECU and peripherals. Would there be issues or compatibility problems?

kyshadetreebmw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I see that the primary issue would be needing to chip the ECU to bypass the EWS system on the key. And possible problems with going down to OBDI. So I think I will not do that engine. I assume folks were appalled at the concept hence no replies. Shocked
dale

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have to pass emissions test, this won't work as the 95 engine is OBD I vs a 98 needing to have OBD II
If no emissions, as long as you swap all electronics from the 95 it'll work
sold in 2016
87 325 5spd eta
kyshadetreebmw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Thanks Dale. I do not have emissions testing to pass. I figured that it might require all electronics and that would include a key to match ecu I believe, so I am not going to try to use anything except a direct match. Actually, I am going to do the head gasket job myself. I brought other vehicles back into service until I have the time to get the task done. I appreciate all your efforts in maintaining this site. Take care and Do well. Ron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: