Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

insurance claim - any advice?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
m78

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: insurance claim - any advice? Reply with quote

Should I go through my own insurance company or call directly into the other guy's insurance?

The accident was totally his fault, but not sure if his insurance is very competent. I've read many horror stories about the company he uses.

Top Speed 220 km/h

(OO=00=OO)
tncean

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both.

t
m78

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I've gotta say is pretty obvious but nevertheless quite important, and that is that the insurance industry in american society is designed very very poorly.

when someone is the cause of 100% of the losses, and none of those losses are his, there is very little incentive for him to take any action towards resolving the damage that he has caused.

It seems to me there should be a legal mechanism whereby the party at fault would be legally obligated and financially incentivized to take on all the initiative to ensure that the aggrieved party is completely satisfied in the quickest manner possible.

But alas that is not the case, and it causes so much more cost and aggravation as a result.

Top Speed 220 km/h

(OO=00=OO)
cjhsa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not answer any insurance questions over the phone, not from your company or the other guy's.

Do everything in writing. Be wary of web based queries as well.

I went under a Toyota truck once when the dude pulled out in front of me leaving me no out. His insurer did everything they could to make it my fault for being inattentive or going too fast or blah blah blah.

In the end I got my car fixed and they got screwed, and, I borrowed a crowbar from the cop and pulled out my crushed fender/hood and drove away. The Forerunner was disabled, broke the rear tire mount. LMAO.
dale

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1999 I got rear ended while driving my '95 M3 by a young lady in her Jetta. We called the police, they couldn't be bothered to do an accident report, so we exchanged information and went our ways.

I kept calling her and bugging her to fine the report with her insurance, and she kept whining about being busy, or couldn't do it, or her mom was going to do it.
So I called her mom and asked her why she hadn't filed the report, oh, she'd been busy, wasn't supposed to make personal calls from work, blah blah blah.

So, I got all their information, and _I_ called their insurance company and opened the claim, and took my car to the best body shop I could find, recommended by BMW Seattle, and they submitted the claim to her insurance against her.

Her insurance company was pissed that their customers hadn't told them they had been in an accident.
They paid up without any more hassle on my part.

If the other person is at fault, you shouldn't have to pay your deductable to your insurance company, your insurance shouldn't have to get involved at all unless the other insurance company totally screws up.

Hope this helps,

Dale
sold in 2016
87 325 5spd eta
cjhsa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many states require that accidents be reported to them as well, not just the insurers. Shortly after my BMW incident I had an at-fault accident in my wife's car, long story. What happened though was worse than that. The Toyota guy in the first accident wrote down the wrong date on the form he submitted to the state. I submitted forms for both of my smashups. The DMV saw only the dates, thought I had been involved in three accidents in slightly over a month, and suspended my license.

Fortunately at the time it was an easy fix, just a phone call. I'm sure that is no longer the case.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: