Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Peake adaptor cable from e36 type connector to OBD2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PJK

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Peake adaptor cable from e36 type connector to OBD2 Reply with quote

I posted this on the e46 forum as well, but I'm not sure those folks work on their cars so I'm putting it here as well. Mods, if this is not OK please remove it from one of the forums.

I am having to work on my daughters e46. I have a Peake code reader which has been somewhat useful for my e36 and my wife's e32. It turns out that the e46 does not have the same diagnostic connector. I went to Peake's website and found that they sell my reader for ~$150, the reader with the OBD2 for ~ $150, and they will sell the adaptor cable for my reader for ~$35 if purchased with the reader. For their loyal customers (like me) who already have the reader they want ~ $70. I think that is a rip off and no way to treat their customers.

Is there anyone here who has the setup who is willing to Ohm out the adapter cable and give me the connections?

Thanks,

Phil
jc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of those adapter cables. It isn't Peake and mine goes from the OBD style plug on the code reader to the 20 pin BMW plug on the car, but it should be wired the same. As far as I know there are only four wires that need to be connected, K line, L line (I think newer cars use K line only) +12v and ground. You should be able to find the pinouts for both connectors on google to find what pins to connect. If you still need it and want me to confirm any of the pins on my cable I can probably do it.
PJK

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi JC,

Thanks for the the reply and pointing me in the right direction. I'll Google this and check my e36 Bentley, e46 Bentley, and e36 ETM and if I can't sort it out from those sources I'll be bugging you to get out the Ohm-meter.

Phil

jc wrote:
I have one of those adapter cables. It isn't Peake and mine goes from the OBD style plug on the code reader to the 20 pin BMW plug on the car, but it should be wired the same. As far as I know there are only four wires that need to be connected, K line, L line (I think newer cars use K line only) +12v and ground. You should be able to find the pinouts for both connectors on google to find what pins to connect. If you still need it and want me to confirm any of the pins on my cable I can probably do it.
yelcab1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you get an OBD2 scanner. It is cheaper and readily available.
PJK

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Yelcab,

I have been using my son's OBD scanner on the e46 with no luck. I may need a better scanner as it also failed to find an intermittent crankshaft position in my wife's MBz until I hooked it up with the car screwing up. The MBz dealer told me their scanner would have pulled it from the computer's memory.

I'll buy a good OBD scanner before I give more money to those Peak bandits.

Phil

yelcab1 wrote:
I suggest you get an OBD2 scanner. It is cheaper and readily available.

Last edited by PJK on Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
yelcab1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OBD1 has no user interface standard so it left room for bandits like Peake to make money. A stupid airbag light resetter costs $129?

OBD2 starts in model year 1996 has a standard interface and all cars must have them. The OBD2 scanner is produced by a number of vendors and they all work to scan standard codes (not BMW specific codes).

Buy something good, >$100 and it will work for all your new 96+ vehicles.

Screw Peake.
PJK

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Yelcab,

I agree with you. My irritation with Peak started when I found that my tool would not reset the baby killer in my wife's e32 or my e36 and they wanted another $129 for a dedicated baby killer tool.

Phil

yelcab1 wrote:
OBD1 has no user interface standard so it left room for bandits like Peake to make money. A stupid airbag light resetter costs $129?

OBD2 starts in model year 1996 has a standard interface and all cars must have them. The OBD2 scanner is produced by a number of vendors and they all work to scan standard codes (not BMW specific codes).

Buy something good, >$100 and it will work for all your new 96+ vehicles.

Screw Peake.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: