Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Overheating 1996 318i

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BMW F1

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Overheating 1996 318i Reply with quote

Hi all, My 1996 318i starting leaking coolant yesterday and eventually white smoke came out the back while I was driving. Pulled over and saw coolant leaking from the bottom of the Radiator and coolant some how got to the back of the engine and down onto the exahust pipes. The white smoke out the back was the coolant on the pipes I guess. Anyway I topped up the Rad to get home and then noticed that the top hose to the thermostate was hot and the lower hose cool. Is this a thermostate trouble or Water pump trouble,,,??? or something else ??,,, Help please !
geminiys

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you find where the coolant leaked from?
The top hose should be hot, while bottom is warm. You might have an issue with either a pump or thermostat, but look for a cracked radiator as well. The upper neck of the radiator breaks without warning. Check for signs of coolant in the oil and signs of oil in the coolant. If all looks good, the head gasket survived and you will need to overhaul your coolant system. Get a new Radiator, Water Pump (good brand name unit or original), Thermostat (watch out for a notch position to install new one in exact position as yours now), Upper and Lower hoses. Replace it and put new coolant (only original BMW coolant should be used) in.
BMW F1

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and thanks for your response.

Well, I had a bad Thermostate,,, after I replaced it the car didn't overheat anymore, but I was still loosing coolant

Closer inspection shows coolant leaking from the rear of the engine block. I'm suspecting the thermostate was stuck closed and caused pressure to build up over time and eventually ruptured the head gasket. Don't know for show but that is my conclusion for now. I will have it looked at by a mechanic to be sure and let you know
geminiys

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would look at all the hoses, especially the heater hoses going into the firewall behind engine block before suspecting the head gasket. Let us know and good luck.
BMW F1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,, after closer inspection on topping up the Rad I noticed small clouds of dark fluid in the coolant. I would guess this is oil getting into the coolant from somewhere. Head gasket problem.?? Could it be anything else ???
geminiys

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very possible. To be sure, cylinder compression test is in order. Watch out for watery liquid in the oil and continue to watch for dark liquid in the coolant. Good luck.
BMW F1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car is done, Head Gasket parts and labour is around $1800 + more $ if head has to be machined. well ,, not worth fixing....

Found a 2002 330i,, nbought it...

Thanks Again for all your help
geminiys

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you. Good choice with E46 body. Does it have ZHP package? Watch out for VANOS issues in these models. There is a good kit (Dr. Vanos i think) to have it fixed once and for all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: