Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

composite or metal for new water pump

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: composite or metal for new water pump Reply with quote

328i 1997 200,000 miles may need new water pump down the line. Model # 11-51-7-527-799 was put in in 2003. I believe it was a metal impeller not sure. which is better composite or metal? Just need new thermostat is it necessary to do waterpump?
walshja

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

changing the thermostat and water pump are independent of each other.

I used to believe in changing the water pump as a preemptive measure, but I have since change my beliefs.

in your case, if your pump is OK, meaning not leaking any coolant, I'd leave it. do you ever smell coolant when driving?

if you do get a new water pump, I would suggest getting it from the dealer, weather it be plastic or metal (I believe they converted to metal). Seems when I buy water pumps from non-dealers they don't last as long. I've never seen the plastic impeller disintegrate like some others have.

before doing any of this, make sure your system is properly bled. over time some coolant will disappear, so it is normal needing to bleed every once in a while.

1994 325iC, 195k miles
http://home.comcast.net/~walshja/index.html <--- check it out

killerbeem

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the disintegration on my old e30 from the composite one, and went to metal and it lasted until I sold it.

My e34 right now has the original, so I will assume it is composite, since mine was put together in the latter half of 93. I have thought about changing it out, but the old adage of "ain't broke, don't fix it" comes to mind more in this car than the last two...

MK
1984 325e - Rachel (Sold)
BMWCCA Member
Find me on Twitter: @mkilpatric
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
yelcab1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have an E36. Buy the pump from the dealer. They have gone back an forth and now back to better plastic. It will last the remaining life of your car.
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still out there, yelcab… henry
jchau4265

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yelcab1 wrote:
you have an E36. Buy the pump from the dealer. They have gone back an forth and now back to better plastic. It will last the remaining life of your car.

If you have an e36 and the water pump was never replaced, REPLACED IT NOW.

For some strange reasons, model year E36 until 96 had plastic impeller within the water pump. With all the heat generated within the cooling system, the plastic impeller breaks off and ruins the engine cooling system.

Mine was replaced back in 1997 (under warranty) and it was in pieces when my mechanic took it out recently. The dealer had replaced the plastic impeller water pump with another plastic impeller unit back then.

Now, with the latest replacement, it is a composite impeller and looks metal. I hear the Steward Water Pump are much better built and it will last forever. BUT it is more expensive ($200)

Hope this helps
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: