Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Doors After 20 Years

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: My Doors After 20 Years Reply with quote

I've a question…Have alway lubed the doors and the locks…Wurth lock lube (how obsessive is this) an their migrating lube goo for the hinges etc.

However, both passenger and driver side now requires a bit of a wack to fully close. Used to be they simply shut like a sleeping baby. Now, I've a 20 year old vehicle that was never a garage queen. So, what do I do with the door closing issue? Send it to graduate school….

Any suggestions?
walshja

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Henry, how things going?

my doors were making noise recently, and I squirted wd40 onto the bar that goes into the door (near the hinge). that was beginning to seize up on me. did you try that?

but it may sound like your latch isn't latching properly, could it be all gummed up?

1994 325iC, 195k miles
http://home.comcast.net/~walshja/index.html <--- check it out

Henry

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things are OK, Joe; will definitely get into cleaning the latch. Will look for a good solvent…however, WD40 with a rag might work…in addition will spray it where you suggested.

Otherwise…thinking of leaving Santa Fe and looking into a place about an hour and half north of nyc. Closer is good right now. Shall miss the dealer out there. I receive great care as there are things requiring attention beyond my skill or interest. However, I do my own oil (wow). With gas getting above 4- a gallon even my 30+mpg 318is, on 2,000 mile trips can add up.

Same old same old…can't think of any friends who aren't impacted one way or another. Deal with it…says I.
walshja

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thought you were living part time in both Santa Fe and NYC? I remember you story of changing your oil at times square, pretty funny stuff. Amazing how much money you save by changing your own oil

so why the move back to the cold climate? I visited Santa Fe once, and loved it, why leave?

1994 325iC, 195k miles
http://home.comcast.net/~walshja/index.html <--- check it out

Henry

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why leave…A few reasons. I'm a retired nyc teacher. So, in certain ways things are ok. In other ways I want to return to work. There's more opportunity for work in NYC than in Santa Fe. I've an idea for a business that can only work in NYC. As a photographer I've made a bit here and there. However, the economy is such that I want to protect myself and develop a more consistent income stream.

Can always rent in the west. Unlike Manhattan there's apartments that don't cost a fortune in New Mexico. There's less responsibility this way. I'm looking in the area north of NYC. My apartment here is moderately priced but small; and for nyc standards, cheap…so I really need another place as well as the apartment.

I think being in one place will stabilize my life. While I enjoy the nomadic life it has a downside. So, I'm considering a change.

I began to think like this back in September '11 and am inching my way toward a decision. My house in NM is adobe and really inexpensive to operate. It's truly passive solar…the sun heats the interior and a fire is needed only occasionally. Didn't bring in natural gas and oil heat doesn't exist there. As for the weather, it does get cold…Santa Fe is northern New Mexico and is in the Rocky Mountains. However, the altitude, 7,000 feet makes up for the cold with a powerful sun. I'll probably miss it a lot.

As for traveling there…flying is the least expensive way to go. However, I actually enjoy the drive. My vehicle uses about 70 gallons of fuel each way. If this was 1971 the drive would be almost free…even at my 1971 salary. However, it seems that premium is over $4.00 a gallon and 2 or 3 nites in a motel…well…it adds up. I could fly round trip to Europe for what it costs to drive to New Mexico.

We live in crazy times and as I've been on this board for about 10 years now…some of you remember my earliest posts. So, you know that I am not surprised we're in this mess. Saw it coming 10 years ago. It was as inevitable as weather. Now, must do something about it…and save my butt. There's limited work in Santa Fe. There seems to be unlimited opportunity in NYC.

that's my partial bio Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: