Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dashboard lights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
killerbeem

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Dashboard lights Reply with quote

On my e36, I have an interesting conundrum... The electronic display for mileage and trip miles is very dim, hard to read (even at night), and the service indicators will come on, then go dim as well.

Any suggestions on how to clean this up (I wish I could assume a dirty connection, but I have not taken it apart)? I have searched our BB and some others, but nothing definitive to lead me to an easier clean up than pulling one from another car and replacing (or buy a replacement, if I even can).

PS, AC compressor and head liner will be done before this spring, I'll post info and pics when
1984 325e - Rachel (Sold)
BMWCCA Member
Find me on Twitter: @mkilpatric
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

See all UnofficialBMW Ads
mmaldin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My odometer LED's recently have been flickering or only partially lighting up. I read a thread and a DIY elsewhere that indicated that the solder needs to be re-flowed on the printed circuit board where the odometer LED's are attached. It's a project I will take on soon. I will look for the link for the DIY and post it if you are interested. Also, there are services that can refurbish the cluster.
killerbeem

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can help to find that post, that would be great. I have one from Pelican Parts (or somewhere), that shows how to fix the OBC display if it goes dim (just a small capacitor), but none for the display yet.

MK
1984 325e - Rachel (Sold)
BMWCCA Member
Find me on Twitter: @mkilpatric
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mmaldin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I haven't been here for a while.
There are 2 fixes for the LCD panel. I suggest doing both while you are in there. Might as well replace the bulbs too. I plan on doing this in the spring when it warms up.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=777673
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251379
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: