Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dealer "Fuel Injection Service"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Dealer "Fuel Injection Service" Reply with quote

I expect lots of different and contrary opinions on this one.

The service involves disconnecting the fuel pump, running some mixture through the engine that I am told "burns out the carbon that is probably on the bottom of the pistons, cleans the valves, and the injectors.

I am told that rather than use a chemical like Techron, Lubro Moly, or K44 (whatever its's called) this procedure will really get it all up to snuff as in the idea of "Preventive Maintenance."

My vehicle has 247,000, use decent gas, on cold start idle stumbles so I have to feed it gas.

It's about 200-. And yes, I can understand why there'd be lots who say it isn't needed. However, my vehicle has lasted 19 years and,well, looks and runs quite nicely. I figure, why not service this area?

Any comments…aside from the ones or actually including the ones that say I'm nuts to do this and to send the dough to them...

See all UnofficialBMW Ads
PJK

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Dealer "Fuel Injection Service" Reply with quote

Hi Henry,

Is this an authorized dealer who is trying to sell this service?

If the issue is only at cold start why should it clear up as the engine warms if it is fouled injectors, or carbon build-up? I would be looking for a failed temperature sensor either in the air box or in the cylinder head.

Have someone read the codes before you do anything.

Phil

Henry wrote:
I expect lots of different and contrary opinions on this one.

The service involves disconnecting the fuel pump, running some mixture through the engine that I am told "burns out the carbon that is probably on the bottom of the pistons, cleans the valves, and the injectors.

I am told that rather than use a chemical like Techron, Lubro Moly, or K44 (whatever its's called) this procedure will really get it all up to snuff as in the idea of "Preventive Maintenance."

My vehicle has 247,000, use decent gas, on cold start idle stumbles so I have to feed it gas.

It's about 200-. And yes, I can understand why there'd be lots who say it isn't needed. However, my vehicle has lasted 19 years and,well, looks and runs quite nicely. I figure, why not service this area?

Any comments…aside from the ones or actually including the ones that say I'm nuts to do this and to send the dough to them...
Henry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it Phil.

Will cancel. Also pose your questions. I was told that the failed sensor in cyl head would cost a bundle as the removal was time consuming.

In warm temps, no prob. Cold, well a blip on the accelerator solves corrects this.

Car will be garaged. (right now outside…garage maintenance).

Any downside to leaving this alone?

Car is a '92 and no fault light has registered. Perhaps the system wasn't as comprehensive back then.

Just a blip on accelerator corrects problem. I can live with this.
Can the car live with this?

'92 E-36 318is 248,000 miles
PJK

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Henry,

My 325i with 286 K miles has been a little rough at low speeds when cold.

As in your case no faults register. This has been going on for at least three years now. It clears up within one mile of driving so it hasn't been enough aggravation to bother with. Unless it is what causes me to fall asleep when driving it hasn't seemed to cause any big problem.

Phil

Henry wrote:
Got it Phil.

Will cancel. Also pose your questions. I was told that the failed sensor in cyl head would cost a bundle as the removal was time consuming.

In warm temps, no prob. Cold, well a blip on the accelerator solves corrects this.

Car will be garaged. (right now outside…garage maintenance).

Any downside to leaving this alone?

Car is a '92 and no fault light has registered. Perhaps the system wasn't as comprehensive back then.

Just a blip on accelerator corrects problem. I can live with this.
Can the car live with this?

'92 E-36 318is 248,000 miles
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Am grateful for my 247K. Everyone's entitled to get a little cranky at this mileage. Smile
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's a bit of time later and here's an update. Before driving East I put a bottle of Chevron Fuel Injector Cleaner or whatever it's called. Ran through the stuff. Than, at the end of that tank of gas, I put a bottle of Chevron Techtron…ran that through and put another in (I think). Problem solved.
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's a bit of time later and here's an update. Before driving East I put a bottle of Chevron Fuel Injector Cleaner or whatever it's called. Ran through the stuff. Than, at the end of that tank of gas, I put a bottle of Chevron Techtron…ran that through and put another in (I think). Problem solved.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: