Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help locating squealing noise
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
robby991

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Help locating squealing noise Reply with quote

Hi, I have a 95 318is and there is this squealing sound when my car is always on that increases in frequency as I rev the engine. All my belts look fine, so I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what else it could be. I have the service manual for the car so I can look it up. Thanks!
walshja

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Rob, still playing hockey?

I would check your belt tensioners. open the hood and see if the noise is coming from the pulleys the belts are on. those pulleys are spring loaded, and they are a common problem

1994 325iC, 195k miles
http://home.comcast.net/~walshja/index.html <--- check it out

robby991

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, no not much anymore. My buddies I had a team with at Northford don't skate anymore so I don't have a team to skate with. What about you?

Ok, I'll check that out this weekend. That was my initial assumption. DO the pulleys have to be replaced is that is the problem?
walshja

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, I hardly play anymore either. Gil blew his knee out, he's out for a while.

the tensioners are something you simply replace, not too expensive either. going from memory at not looking at my car I think you will need to remove the radiator shroud, and then the belt. once the belt off you can easily remove the tensioner pulleys. if you are not short on cash, you may want to replace them all, along with the belt. and since you are in there, think about replacing your water pump if you never have before

1994 325iC, 195k miles

robby991

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I removed the covers and sprayed the pully with some lubricant and it seemed to eliminate the noise. However that is the least of my worries right now. I am having transmission issues, it looks like I need a rebuild. Do you know anyone around who does tranny rebuilds for a reasonable price? Jerry's in town gave me a pretty steep quote. I am also dealing with rusting on the fenders near the wheel wells. In the past I just sanded the rust out, primed and re-painted, however the areas a growing larger now and it's looking like I need to just replace the fenders.
walshja

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you rebuild BMW transmissions, you replace them. What symptoms do you have? did you try changing the transmission fluid and filter? you should try that before replacing/repairing your tranny

I think front fenders can replaced easily, the backs will need some welding and body work. If this is not a collector car to you, I would try the stuff that kills and converts rust to something else, and live with what you got.

and spraying the belt tensioners is a short term fix, the problem will most likely return.

seems like when it rains it pours with these cars . . .

1994 325iC, 195k miles

robby991

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sympotoms are that I cannot get into first gear. Whenver I start from a stand still and put it in first, it immediately pops out. I can start from first if my car is on a hill and is rolling a bit, but just not from a complete stop. I went to change my transmission fluid because I thought maybe that could have been the issue, however it turned out that all the fluid leaked out with out me knowing. I filled it back up but my feeling is the damage is already done. Currently pricing a new tranny install at different places, if that becomes too expensive looks like I am up for a new car, maybe an E46?
mmaldin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own an e46 as well as my trusty e36. The e46 is a far more complicated and problematic car. Do your research and make sure you know what you are getting yourself into. e46 is a fine car, but high maintenance compared with e36.
robby991

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up, anything in particular that I should be aware of? Which years/models are the most reliable? My E36 has just been so awesome, I wanted to stick with BMW for my next car. I will do research however on the E46 before I make my decision.
walshja

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Rob, I think you answered your own question. start looking for a low mileage E36, maybe an M3 !!! or a nice convertible. you already know the car well, to stick with what you know.

1994 325iC, 195k miles

mmaldin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out e46fanatics.com if you want to learn more about e46 cars. I believe it’s the best forum for DIY information. The e46 shares all of the same weakness as the e36 (cooling system, suspension, pulleys/tensioners, etc) plus several difficult or expensive additional ones. The ccv replacement, the oil filter housing gasket, power steering hoses, secondary air injection and the vanos rebuild are just a few. The last 2 model years are better than the previous but still have the same issues. The e46 is a more refined car than the e36 and is a joy, but it is high maintenance. I wouldn't want to own any BMW after the e36 that is not covered by a warranty unless I was doing the repairs myself. Fortunately, I enjoy working on my BMW's; it's a hobby keeping them in tip-top mechanical condition.
robby991

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got an E90!!
killerbeem

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Rob, that was quit a jump up! How do you like it so far?
1984 325e - Rachel (Sold)
BMWCCA Member
Find me on Twitter: @mkilpatric
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
robby991

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice car. I wasn't initially looking for an e90, however someone a town over from me was selling it and the price was great, single owner. Not to mention the car was in immaculate condition inside and out, clean carfax/autocheck with all service records. Initially I thought I liked the body style on the E36 and E46 much better, however I've grown to really like the E90, it has a much sleaker, cooler and streamlined look. I have a feeling that it won't be as reliable as my E36 was though Cool
killerbeem

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drop a picture up, or do you have it on the other board?
1984 325e - Rachel (Sold)
BMWCCA Member
Find me on Twitter: @mkilpatric
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: