Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Car drifting to right...is that supposed to happen ?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
keebsman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:37 am    Post subject: Car drifting to right...is that supposed to happen ?! Reply with quote

Hi! I just bought a Certified Pre-Owned 2008 BMW-535i. Just a few days after I bought it I started noticing that the car drifted to the right and I had to keep a slight pressure on the left side of the wheel to keep it going straight. I took it back to the dealer in San Jose where I had bought the car. They told me that the camber on the cars are biased to give the car a right drift - the "advisor" and the mechanic who test drove the car told me that this is a safety feature so that if something were to happen to incapacitate the driver, the car would naturally drift off the the road instead of into traffic. I thought that a bit specious albeit very imaginative!!

I have never driven on any potholes or any rough roads - almost all the driving is on highways to and back from work. Given that the dealership would fix any car they sell and make sure alignment is dead-on, and the reasoning they are giving me, I am looking for some advice on this forum. I also plan to take the car to a mechanic who specializes in BMWs and get a second opinion.

Thanks for reading this mail. Looking forward to some useful advice. Love the car, but this problem is driving me nuts!! When you are driving one of the best sport sedans in the world you expect nothing less than perfection. Especially when it has been a CPO purchase less than 30 days ago!

Thanks,

-Kedar

See all UnofficialBMW Ads
edjack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's bizarre! How does it run on the freeway? There is far less road camber on freeways.

Many local surface streets have enough camber to pull the car to the curb.

Must be Stevens Creek BMW.

Take it to an indie BMW shop, and get a second opinion.

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: