Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Radio Code Input Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
atomix3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Radio Code Input Problem Reply with quote

I have a 1997 318i I am trying to get the radio back on. Radio was working good until battery was disconnected to put in new starter.
I went to the dealer and got a code (61131) but the radio will not take it and I keep getting locked out (code wait) and have to reset the radio.

My radio serial number is : AL 6BDUT 12 53951

Any help or suggestions on this would be helpfull. I called a second dealer and they gave me the same code.

I know the radio worked before got disconnected.
PJK

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Radio Code Input Problem Reply with quote

Two questions.

Is the dealer using the SN of the radio or the VIN number? Are you sure the radio is the original one?

There is one other issue. Even if you now have the correct code if several failed attempts have been made (I think 3) you will be locked out and even the correct code won't work. I believe you need to leave the radio on for something like one hour for the lockout to time out before entering the correct code.

Phil

atomix3 wrote:
I have a 1997 318i I am trying to get the radio back on. Radio was working good until battery was disconnected to put in new starter.
I went to the dealer and got a code (61131) but the radio will not take it and I keep getting locked out (code wait) and have to reset the radio.

My radio serial number is : AL 6BDUT 12 53951

Any help or suggestions on this would be helpfull. I called a second dealer and they gave me the same code.

I know the radio worked before got disconnected.
atomix3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. The dealer (both) used the radio serial number.
I cannot guarantee the radio is original since I bought car used but everything on the car seems original and the radio is matched with the 6 disc changer in the trunk.
I have already been able to get the radio reset by leaving on for an hour and have tried entering the code several times and reset several times.

I was thinking maybe there is a difference between US and Canadian cars although my radio (Model No. C33 DIN US) I think indicates that is US.
PJK

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the dealers used the radio SN the code which they gave you should be good.

Did I understand correctly that you were finally sucessfull?

Phil

atomix3 wrote:
Thanks for the reply. The dealer (both) used the radio serial number.
I cannot guarantee the radio is original since I bought car used but everything on the car seems original and the radio is matched with the 6 disc changer in the trunk.
I have already been able to get the radio reset by leaving on for an hour and have tried entering the code several times and reset several times.

I was thinking maybe there is a difference between US and Canadian cars although my radio (Model No. C33 DIN US) I think indicates that is US.
atomix3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was successfull in getting the radio reset from being locked from entering the wrong codes but stil not able to get the codes to work.
THis morning I tried the serial number retrieval of holding down the "M" button on the radio after turning on like your suppose to on the newer units. When doing this the radio gave me a serial number of (T0977000).
I do not now why this would be different then what is on the label on the case.
PJK

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess that the radio was in the shop being worked on and the tech switched covers from an other radio or the board which contains the micro or what ever holds the memory.

Phil

atomix3 wrote:
I was successfull in getting the radio reset from being locked from entering the wrong codes but stil not able to get the codes to work.
THis morning I tried the serial number retrieval of holding down the "M" button on the radio after turning on like your suppose to on the newer units. When doing this the radio gave me a serial number of (T0977000).
I do not now why this would be different then what is on the label on the case.
atomix3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it working. Called dealer with the serial number from the radio display and they were able to pull another code that worked.
I found both dealers (Parts Departments) in the Tacoma / Bellevue area to be helpfull with providing codes at no charge.
Thanks for the replies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: