Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any tips on removing a snapped ABS speed sensor in rear hub

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dewitts

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Any tips on removing a snapped ABS speed sensor in rear hub Reply with quote

I had the very common problem of the traction control triangle and abs light on the dash with no speedometer so found information here to try to establish which (if any) of my speed sensors were at fault.
I tried removing the passanger rear sensor to inspect it but it seems that it had perished so badly that when I tried turning it to release it the piece where the bolt goes just fell off and when I attempted to pull the rest out with a mole grips, that just snapped off too. So all that was left was trying to pull it out by the wires which of course snapped.
At the moment it sits almost flush with the hub and i've made no further attempt to remove it.
I decided to try posting here for tried and tested methods of removal (hopefully easy ones that won't require dismantling the whole axle)
edjack

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might consider using a bolt extractor (aka easy-out).

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
Dewitts

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used an old thin screwdriver as a chisel and knocked my way through the crumbling sensor and levered out the old piece, it took over 2 hours but the vehicle was on a jack not a lift and was trying not to be too brutal and wreck the hub.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: