Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1994 318i that requires 93 parts????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
killerbeem

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: 1994 318i that requires 93 parts???? Reply with quote

I went into O'Reilly's (I know, booooo), to get a new A/C belt this weekend, trying to get all the parts together so I can get the A/C going (I have another question below on this too).

I bought a belt, ending in xxx350, according to the system, for my 1.8l 1994 318i, this was required. Got the PS belt off, put on the new A/C belt just to check the size, and wouldn't you know it? Too big!

So, I went back to said O'Reilly's, had them look up the 1993 318i, and it had a different size belt! xxx335! So, I looked at my production year, and it was built in 9/93. And it also was branded with an m42???? Not sure if that's the engine? Going to research that a bit, but thought I'd pose the question here.

See, that leads me to believe that I know am the proud owner of an Alpine White 1994 BMW 318i (per VIN!) that has a 1993 engine in it???? Is this something BMW was doing with the early 1994's?

I have to get back underneath tomorrow and try to locate the compressor number, as it is OBVIOUSLY blown (at least the clutch is off it's rocker, literally) so I can purchase a new one. I decided to do it myself, after I read through here on how to best bleed the system, rip out the compressor, put in the new one, and then take it to an A/C shop for a full charge. Mainly because the local shop(s) want near a thousand the do the same thing, and I don't have the money right now, since I am moving the fiance down here in two weeks.

Any, and IDANITY, I lean on you a bit here, advice on this would be helpful, as I have never really dealt with the A/C, I always had it working on the other two 90's models, just not the 84 (old A/C system anyway).
1984 325e - Rachel (Sold)
BMWCCA Member
Find me on Twitter: @mkilpatric
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

idanity

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i get what your sayin.

for all s you could take the test online and get the license to do it yourself (even freon)

otherwise your on teh right track, replace all the bolt-ons and get if pressured at a shop....however i think for freon, the price to get 1.5 lbs installed may be hundreds.

as far as a 94 car with a 93 engine, BMW has been doing that for years, (and split years)...my latest (cheap-o, left for years 89 sedan) e30 is an 89 with a 88 body/engine...albeit the M20, its the same principle.

but for your new cars M42B18
318is 1,796 cc (1.796 L; 109.6 cu in)
1,895 cc (1.895 L; 115.6 cu in)
4cyl DOHC 16V Petrol
140 PS (103 kW; 138 hp) @6000 rpm
175 N·m (129 lb·ft) @4500 rpm

you could easily bolt on a turbo for an additional 100hp and have lots of fun with that engine....so many around and very affordable (unlike the godly s14's which are so awesome they command ten times the cash)

hope that helps.
killerbeem

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you could easily bolt on a turbo for an additional 100hp and have lots of fun with that engine....so many around and very affordable (unlike the godly s14's which are so awesome they command ten times the cash)

Oh, really? I know what's on my wish list now!

As far as the price to recharge, I also am not a fan of that, but may have a shop here that is owned bey a coworkers brother that might cut me a deal.

And that motor year makes sense, especially with the build year of 9/93.... Just going to have to remember that if I have to replace anything else (I'm going to do all three belts, and would have done head gasket if I hadn't found where it was done less than 7 years ago - receipt in the owners manual).
1984 325e - Rachel (Sold)
BMWCCA Member
Find me on Twitter: @mkilpatric
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
idanity

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw...your m42 engine is a common swap with the 2002 crowds
(very light engine and can be easily upped with power)

ive heard of some m42's being bored out and rival the s14's (which is saying quite a lot ) but its after a ton of work...but they are durable.

i've been looking for a 1991 318is (slicktop) forever, just cant ever find one cheap enough, and road worthy enough to convince myself to buy.

so i got the next best (and heavier) thing....the red one. its coming along too, but i really want the lightest possible car i can find to be content...im still gonna be looking.

and back on track.

does yours have freon in it now ?
i highly recomend to keep it, mine lasted ten years before i had to replace the dryer and it was only 1/2 lb low....
now it runs 27 degrees at the vents...
in summer
in traffic
just had it on yesterday, and i kept turning it off as i drove (for power) and on again at the red lights....."COLD'' .so cold, i froze my hands
Cool
dale

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMW does model year factory change-over in August of a year.
So all 1994 models are built between 9/93 and 7/94. Nothing unusual about this at all, they've done it that way forever.

Once in a while they did odd things, like introducing the 1995 M3 in 02/94, and continuing to make that car until 12/95. Why? OBDII, BMW didn't have the new engines ready yet, so they kept building the old OBDI engine as long as they could. They built the '95 M3 for 22 months, that's why there are so many around. Then they only build the '96 M3 for something like March-July of 96, then it was time for the 97 to roll out.

All the 1990-1995 E30 and E36s 318i cars have the M42 4cyl(OBDI),
96-98 are M44(OBDII).
sold in 2016
87 325 5spd eta
idanity

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats better for tuning ?
id like to find a 91 318i 4door, slicktop
dale

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All OBD-I cars, 95 and older are easier to tune then OBD-II cars 96 and newer.
So the M42 is far easier to tune then the M44.
sold in 2016
87 325 5spd eta
85-325e

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll only address the A/C...

I did mine on my E30... To be able to buy freon (R-12), you really have to have an EPA cert, but it's an open book, 20 minute test on the web, and you get your cert.

Once you open the system, it's open, and you have your choice of doing a bunch of things. You're supposed to capture the remaining R-12 in your system. You may not even have R-12 in there anymore...

In which case, it doesn't make sense to recharge it because the seals are probably leaking anyway.

THere aren't that many seals, and once you open the system up, you might as well change them. You should replace your Receiver/Dryer, and probably your expansion valve. When I did mine in the 325e, BMW in Denver had told me years ago that the expansion valve was probably clogged (they charged me $700 for that evaluation as they were trying to fix it, and assurred me that $400 of that would be applied to the $1500 job if I decided to have it fixed). I tried a few things before I actually screwed up the A/C myself... then I was comitted.

Sure enough, when I opened things up, the expansion valve was clogged. And it was clogged with the disintegrating foam filter in the compressor.

Also, once you open the system up, you should probably flush the parts... There's special stuff for that...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: