Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Droopy Headliner and Sagging Door Panel Fabric/Cure

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: Droopy Headliner and Sagging Door Panel Fabric/Cure Reply with quote

Found reasonable/inexpensive cure for the drooping headliner and door panes that have separating fabric. As our cars age and adhesive dries out the fabric separates.

My suggestion is to find an upholstery shop that also works on cars! Not so easy but I did find one.

They had a really nice dark gray fabric with a really nice texture. The door panels were repaired first. Did this last year and they look great.

Yesterday the roof headliner was done. It looks great, too. I left the sunroof alone. Was not worth the trouble of dealing with it. Trouble and cost=do not touch.

However, I have a great relationship with the dealer here (never had a good relationship with a private shop...always exited with more to do than when I came in) and the dealer suggested a dye job on the sunroof that will match the new headliner color. Well, the 2 tone looks so great that I probably will not touch it. Perhaps I'll send a photo and post it.

I won't say how much the roof cost to repair because it is an embarrassment just to mention the cost.

Also, the drivers seat fabric and foam side bolster was coming apart in a most seriously way. They are covered by sheepskin. However, the shop replaced the bolster foam and matched the fabric to my satisfaction. Remember, it's a 19 year old vehicle and a close match works...wasn't looking for original bmw fabric.

Original panels are rare and the pricey.

See all UnofficialBMW Ads
idanity

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your suggestion is to pay someone else to do it ?
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion is that for $150- I had the entire headliner removed and replace with more attractive material. Both door and rear edging (it's a coupe) cast $40- each.. So, for $310- I have a new interior.

The front drivers seat was beginning to fall apart. that was repaired for $60-

Beautiful job...should post photos. Looks like a new car. Well worth the dough considering the fitting needed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: