Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New window control arm/ motor installed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
killerbeem

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: New window control arm/ motor installed Reply with quote

Got the replacement in today. I didn't take pictures this time, as my hands were covered in grease/ silicon/ other.

So, once I got the old brads out (drill/ cutting wheel, came RIGHT out), I then chose to use decent bolts, washers (plus lock), and nuts instead of trying to find a brad gun and the right type of brads.

All went OK, took about an hour and a half total.

Except, for some reason, I have to still guide the window up, not sure if the control arm I got had an issue with the motor, it ran fine, but the front end of the glass (by mirror) tracks slower than the lock end of the window, and then it pops up and out.

I can hand guide it, but I was wondering if anyone else came across this issue? I am going to spend some more time Tuesday messing with it, but any thoughts would be helpful.

MK
1984 325e - Rachel (Sold)
BMWCCA Member
Find me on Twitter: @mkilpatric
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

See all UnofficialBMW Ads
PJK

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: New window control arm/ motor installed Reply with quote

I had to go thuough this about a couple of years ago. The frame of my pasenger side regulator developed a crack. I bought a new regulator from Pelicon. They sell it with or without the motor. My motor was fine so I bought it without the motor and transplanted the motor to the new regulator. I also had to drill out the rivets out and use bolts and nuts.
Make sure the white Nylon bearings are in good shape. Other than that all I can say is look at it carefully and consult Bentley.

I can't remember any more details. I feel your pain, window regulators are a real PITA.

Phil

killerbeem wrote:
Got the replacement in today. I didn't take pictures this time, as my hands were covered in grease/ silicon/ other.

So, once I got the old brads out (drill/ cutting wheel, came RIGHT out), I then chose to use decent bolts, washers (plus lock), and nuts instead of trying to find a brad gun and the right type of brads.

All went OK, took about an hour and a half total.

Except, for some reason, I have to still guide the window up, not sure if the control arm I got had an issue with the motor, it ran fine, but the front end of the glass (by mirror) tracks slower than the lock end of the window, and then it pops up and out.

I can hand guide it, but I was wondering if anyone else came across this issue? I am going to spend some more time Tuesday messing with it, but any thoughts would be helpful.

MK
killerbeem

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It ended up well, and I realized it also had a stress crack, so for now, I let it go.

I will order a new one later.

I initially had a problem with the window, as I mentioned, and I soon found the resolution was proper alignment of the non-moving brace (tracks the whole arm unit) when bolted down. Once I got it in the correct location, tightened, the window then tracked successfully.

Now, to get the AC fixed. I want to do it myself, I don't want to spend $1000 for one of the local BMW shops to do the work, it's just a compressor and accumalator...
1984 325e - Rachel (Sold)
BMWCCA Member
Find me on Twitter: @mkilpatric
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: