Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wont start

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pep357

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: wont start Reply with quote

my 93 325i has been sitting in the garage for a year i tried to start it now but wont start it turns over and was starting fine before any suggestions

See all UnofficialBMW Ads
idanity

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st...your battery.

thats if it doesn't turn over.

you may need to buy a brand new battery, unless it was on a trickle charger, or a smart charger, since even a trickle charge can sulfate a battery after a year.

check for corrosion, clean the terminals with a wire / brass brush, cleat the clamps too.

reconnect positive 1st, and negative 2nd, to reduce the chance of a spark (no spart w/out ground, and ground seldom sparks, or if it does, its not as "bad")

then, after its all buttoned up, coat it with corrosion resistant spray (or hair spray if you have nothing else).

now, before you start, change your oil and oil filter too.
maybe even remove the spark plugs and hand crank the engine to get the oil lubing a little bit, and easy before a big startup...but at least change your oil before cranking it over. (that way, a little fresh oil is over the cams)...not a huge deal, but i am methodical...

start it up...report back

hope that helps

wow.
you joined 3 years ago, and just posted...
welcome..to unofficialbmw
PJK

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: wont start Reply with quote

If an engine cranks but won't start it pretty much has to be one of three reasons.

1. fuel air mixture not correct.

2. no compression

3. lack of properly timed spark

If it was running when you shut it down we can probably assume that the camshaft has not jumped time but a compression is still a good idea.

Next step is to disconnect the fuel hose at the front of the fuel rail and see if fuel runs out. Needless to say be very careful as gasoline is very flammable. If no fuel comes out check the fuel pump, fuel pump relay, and fuses.

These cars have a problem with water getting into the DME (computer). If there was a chance that the car got wet check this out. A wet computer won't fire the injectors or the spark plugs.

If all the above does not find the problem you will have to pull the codes.

Your car is pre OBDII (or whatever it is) the readers from the auto supply won't do. You will need the reader the dealer has or the ~$130 one from Peake industries. It is also possible to do a trick with the ignition switch and gas pedal to get the check engine light to flash codes with pre OBDII BMWs. I have never had much luck with that however.

Phil

pep357 wrote:
my 93 325i has been sitting in the garage for a year i tried to start it now but wont start it turns over and was starting fine before any suggestions
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: