Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bearings from FCPGROTON?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dathaeus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Bearings from FCPGROTON? Reply with quote

Hey all... i need my rear right bearing replaced, lot of squeaking and grinding, especially during acceleration and left turn, ie, more pressure, the more noise on the wheel.

Lot of people recommended fcpgroton.com for parts, and there is this one bearing part for $30, and my indy is telling me it cant be that cheap unless its a cheap Chinese piece of crap which he doesnt like to use... its MSRP is listed as $75.

Anyone have experience with parts there, do they really sell cheap Chinese parts? They have another one that seems to be the exact same model for $55... Then what about the ones listed for $60, are they different? They seem to have a black liner in the middle instead of tan. Here's the link to my search result:

http://auto-parts.fcpgroton.com/bearing--make-BMW--model-3%252DSeries-1991%252D2000-%2528E36%2529

And my indy said it will take about 2 hours labor and I think he charges $85/hr, so we are looking at about $170 for labor + part.

Thanks!
Front: 17" (225)
Rear: 17" (245)

Answerway.com
walshja

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've purchased rotors and pads from him, no problems at all. he's located in CT, and I liked my eBay purchase enough to add him as a favorite seller.

I'd give the bearing a shot

1994 325iC, 195k miles
http://home.comcast.net/~walshja/index.html <--- check it out

mmaldin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FCP does sell a lot of cheap Chinese parts. They have quality parts too. Call them and ask about the specific part you are interested in. I personally would stick with a German OEM replacement.
Dathaeus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya I called and they said the cheaper one was an Asian version and the $50 is the OEM... so for just like $10 more I gave my indy the green light to just do his thing so he doesnt feel like he is putting in some off-brand part.

Answerway.com
Dathaeus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Result:
New OEM Rear wheel bearing: $60
Rear Hub: $89 (it was damaged, he said it needed to be replaced, showed me it was all scratched up in the contact with the bearing)
Labor: 2 hours (he never overcharges me on this): $170

Total (w/tax): $338

Now just need to get an alignment and hopefully I will be set for a while!

Answerway.com
jc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't too happy at all with the control arms I bought from fcpgroton on ebay a few years ago. The description said that the parts were made in Germany, but I doubt it. The parts were shipped without any manufacturers packaging or identification, the left and right ones which I bought together were not a matching set, and there was no brand or manufacturers markings stamped on the parts, which is pretty much a guarantee that they are made in China. After about a year, the ball joint on one of the control arms was very badly worn, worse than the 10+ year old original parts that they replaced. Especially if you are paying for labor, I don't think it is worth any savings that you may get initially.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: