Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dreaded "tick" 1992 318i

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pommy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Dreaded "tick" 1992 318i Reply with quote

Hi,

I bought a perfectly running, one owner, immaculate and low k's (120,000kms) 318i until I changed the oil...

I changed the thick black oil and filter to a fresh 15/40 Valvoline Synthetic(as per specs), which seemed much thinner (just my observation).

I now have a VERY loud, mechanical, non-lubed tick from ONE of the lifters.

It stays like this from cold, even when at running temperature. After 15mins of driving, it goes - but then intermittently comes back just as loud?

Today I started it and it was quiet, until I got to the top of the street and there it was again! (It's so loud that people look around).

So, I bought some cheap "lifter-noise-stopper-crappy-whatsit" and after 500K's, no change. So I went back and bought the stuff that was 3 x the price - no different

I don't want to drop the oil, try some more, try some more... I don't want to replace the lifter really either.

It can work out very expensive this "guessing the oil viscosity" game and I know there are lots of opinions on it too!

My thoughts...

How can it be the lifter if it was fine before the oil? I don't believe in coincidences.

IS the oil wrong?

Fast "revving" or holding revs from cold doesn't stop it. It DOES stop it once the engine is warm though?

I read in a forum that to drain the oil properly, I should leave it 30 mins, which I did (never have before) and this I what I think caused it personally, but how to fix?

ANY help on this would be very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Pommy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: