Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Growling noise while driving

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marzoa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Growling noise while driving Reply with quote

Growling noise which seems to come from front right wheel comes and goes while driving.

When pressing the brake pedal the noise stops . Also I have noticed that the front right wheel feels hot while the others do not.

Is it possible that these conditions indicate a worn front right wheel bearing or brake.

What are the symptoms or signs of a worn wheel bearing?
m78

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was experiencing this except from the rear wheel.

It was the rear brake pads. I didn't get a brake sensor light, which was kind of weird.

But that was the problem.

I would think if it was the wheel bearing, the noise would be more consistent.

Top Speed 220 km/h

(OO=00=OO)
Ken Juul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: growling Reply with quote

More probably the bearing. Does it change in turns? Louder in a left turn, less when it is unloaded in a right turn?

Jack the front of the car up and check for play, side to side and top & bottom to help confirm.

Not too hard a DIY, but if it is the bearings do them sooner rather than later. If run too long the bearing race may heat seize itself to the spindle making it a tedius saw off job. Any you might as well do both sides, the other side usually isn't far behind.
Marzoa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lifted the car to check the front wheels and I found that the > Right Front Wheel spins with some difficulty. It looks like is tight all the way around compared with the > Left Front Wheel that spins free with no problem.

Also the > Right Front Weel has a little play from side to side and from top to bottom .

Acording with these findings it looks like I need to replace > the Right Caliper Housing # 34-11-1-154-380 > the Right Wheel Bearing # 31-21-1-131-297 > and brake pads on both Front Wheels .

I have a BMW 325es - 05/1986 coupe

Any sugestions?
jlevie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dismount the caliper and see if the wheel then spins easily and quietly. Then check for bearing play by trying to rock the wheel on the vertical axis. Those checks will tell if the bearing is bad. It does sound like you have a binding caliper and that is a separate issue from the bearing. Replace or rebuild the calipers on both sides.

While less common than a binding caliper, a bad ABS unit can cause either or both front calipers to act like they are binding. Deal with the calipers first and if that doesn't fix it, replace the ABS unit.
Spec E30 #96 (NASA-SE)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: