Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

E36 1995 318i convertible Steering Rack or PS Pump?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lee

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: E36 1995 318i convertible Steering Rack or PS Pump? Reply with quote

My power steering makes a lot of noise. It did this and I put some PS fluid sealer fluid goop in the Power steering reservoir. This fixed it for about 3 months, but now I have to deal with it. It made a lot of noise and bubbles over in the reservior. My mechanic says I need a new rack. He want $1100 to fix, so I just parked the car.
Question #1 Is this a very hard DIY job?
Ques #2 How do I know if its the rack or the power steering pump?
#3 Is there anyway I can rebuild the rack? Anyone know of a rebuild kit that's available.
And yes I plan to buy a Bentley manual. Real men don't read directions but this time I may make an exception.
Whitdog

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changing out the rack and pinion is not that hard. If you have the basic knowledge of tools and own some of them....it is pretty easy. Change both the high pressure hose and the return hose when you do it so you know what you have when you are done. There are rebuild kits available, but just buy a rebuilt one and be done with it.

Plan on spending 300-400 dollars and a couple hours of time. Have a friend help you and it makes the job easier. Invest in a Bentley Manual if you plan on keeping the car.

Whitdog
Lee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Steering Rack BMW 318i 1996 Reply with quote

Thanks Whitdog! I feel encouraged to do this now. Good idea about replacing the PS hoses too. I plan to order a ZF rebuilt rack from Bavarian Motorsport. Unless you know someplace with better prices.
Would you happen to know the symtoms of a bad PS pump? My fear is replacing the rack and finding out I did the wrong part.
I really appreciate the feedback and thanks again.
Lee
Whitdog

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered mine at CarQuest. It was a little cheaper than BavAuto. There was a core charge and I did not want to worry about shipping the core back so I ordered it locally. Returning the core was easier.

Have plenty of sockets ready. there were some large ones if I remember right....Like 22 and 23mm. Pry bar and a ball joint separater. Invest in some before starting if you do not have those. You will need some extensions also to get to a few bolts. Mark the ball joints, and measure the threads, so when you screw the ends on to the new R & P you can get them close. Car will need to be aligned after completed.

The noise may be coming from the pump. Those can go bad,.....specially if you have let the fliud go dry and cause damage.

Good luck. Have a friend help since it is bulky.
Lee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: PS Rack Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks again Whitdog, excellent info. I will get those tools you mentioned I don't have the large sockets or pry bars.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: