Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'95 BMW 318i E36 occasional loss of power.. Help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsncrs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:45 pm    Post subject: '95 BMW 318i E36 occasional loss of power.. Help! Reply with quote

Hi there,

I own a 1995 318i E36.
I've noticed lately that sometimes when turning a corner, going over a speed-hump or coming to a stop on a hill, that my car will feel like it has slipped into neutral for a few seconds before jumping back into gear and taking off. The car still revs fine but just seems like it slips out of gear occasionally.

It seems to be worsening of late, I suspect it may be an issue with the transmission as the engine seems to be running fine. (The car is an automatic)

Anyone ever encountered this issue before?

Jason.
walshja

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason, I'm no expert on transmissions, but it sounds like you may be low on transmission fluid, as your symptoms seem to appear at times when low levels would show itself, like hills, turning corners.

I can't recall if there is a dipstick to check the level, or if you need to remove the filler plug and check the level there.

1994 325iC, 195k miles
http://home.comcast.net/~walshja/index.html <--- check it out

Lee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely something with the transmission. I have 3 e36's one of which is a 95 318i but that one is 5 speed stick. Never had the prob.However about 8 years ago my 92 325i had some transmission problems and I thought uh oh this is going to cost thousands! I did not.
1.) The car has no transmission dip stick
2.) I agree with the other person who posted. Low transmission fluid, but don't just top it up. If you have to do it, do it right. Drain the transmission fluid and replace it with whatever BMW recommends. Don't just use the cheapest fluid from you local auto supply, as the wrong fluid could cause damage. Check to see if there is any type of sceen in the transmission and if so take it out and clean it.Never worked on any of my Bimmers trannies so I am not sure if they have this. If s its simple a few bolts on the bottom and a gasket. The screen will catch loose metal shavings.
If this does not fix it then, have a mechanic check the trans. There are some valves that deal with shifting, and they are on the outside of the trans. I had this fixed on my 92 e36 and it was about 150-$250 w/labor. No probs since. so not to worry. DO NOT KEEP DRIVING AROUND WITH LOW FLUID! How much is your transmission worth? If you haven't already fixed it, I wouldn't wait as this could become costly. Right now sounds like a cheap fix. Best of luck...Lee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: