Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heater Fan Issue
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Henry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Heater Fan Issue Reply with quote

It seems that Ms. Calypso Red '92 318is is again catching my attention.

The heater fan only works on high. One day, not too long ago the heater fan began to noticeably weaken on settings 1,2,3. By the end of the day the weakening ended and the fan functioned on setting 4.

As an additional item, the lights behind the temp and the fan dial both vent kaputski.

So any ideas about the fix? Am I in for a new fan job?

Will Henry get married this year?

Will Ms. Calyso Red's clutch of 150,000K miles finally wear out this year?

Will I win the lottery?

Actually, if anyone has any helpful or consoling thoughts please pass them on.

Meanwhile, Ms. Red passed her NYS inspection, had that topside oil change and is presently garaged indoors, in Jersey City and anxiously waiting for her cross country drive to the drier climes of New Mexico.

New Mexico...a place where Ms. Red goes up onto a lift and the mechanics take a peek at her undersides and quickly assert...Smile "Hey, look at this one...look at those rusty bolts and all...another East Coast ca?...than they laugh and I, when it's needed, apply some super rust buster on the bolts in order to assist. However, usually, they need to place a blow torch onto the bolt to expand and loosen it. Don't laugh, my guibo (just google it) was replaced and the exhaust and cat were saved. New bolts were supplied. ha ha ha ah hah~!
geminiys

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replace Final Stage Resistor pack. It is located in the middle under the dashboard, accessed from driver side foot well. Remove the cover to see it. Search www.realoem.com for a better view of it.
PJK

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Henry,

As geminys said this is the part you most likley need: http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/more_info.cgi?pn=64-11-8-391-749-M6&catalog_description=Blower%20Resistor%2C%20E%33%36%20%33%32%35%2FiC%2Fis%2C%20%33%31%38i%2Fis%2FiC%2C%20%33%32%38i%2Fis%2FiC%2C%20M%33%20B%33%30%2FB%33%32%2C%20Each%20
You have the early e36 with the rotary controls so your car takes the resistor pack. The later cars with the digital control take the final stage instead.

It has been along time since I did the light in the heater control but I am pretty sure it is one small incandescent bulb. You have to pull the knobs off and remove a couple of screws which retain the panel to the back of the control. After replacing the bulb you need to pull out the junk storage tray and OBC and put your hand behind the heater control to hold it in place as you reinstall the panel and retaining screws.

Phil
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Just ordered part from Pelican. Will have part Monday.
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little problem...So, according to the Bentley I removed the panel beneath the dash allowing access to the back. Actually, took the screw off to the left and pulled panel back. This give me a good view of the insides. Umm, all I saw were various wires and tightly packed...very tightly packed stuff. Was unable to recognize the resistor pack. Used a flashlight. So, I reasoned this is one of those things that if I knew exactly where to find it the unit would snap release out and the new one snap back in.

I opted to be better safe than sorry and not to experiment.

Any suggestions?
PJK

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Henry,

Are you on the left (driver) side? After removong the panel I think you will have to remove the knee bolster to see the resistor back. All you will see is the connector end. The resistor protrudes into the heater case.

Phil

Henry wrote:
A little problem...So, according to the Bentley I removed the panel beneath the dash allowing access to the back. Actually, took the screw off to the left and pulled panel back. This give me a good view of the insides. Umm, all I saw were various wires and tightly packed...very tightly packed stuff. Was unable to recognize the resistor pack. Used a flashlight. So, I reasoned this is one of those things that if I knew exactly where to find it the unit would snap release out and the new one snap back in.

I opted to be better safe than sorry and not to experiment.

Any suggestions?
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Phil, I'm on the left side...the driver's side. Thank you for the additional info.
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also...one side unscrewed nicely. However, the other side...well, it is an 18 year old vehicle...however, in the course of one or other repair someone must have tore the plastic into which the screw sets, then secured the other side and placed the unit back (am speaking of the panel beneath the dash bottom and around the steering wheel) with friction.

What gets me is that to save a moment it was torn off. I doubt my knee pressured this to break. Anyway, that's probably from the car's New Jersey days since the serious work done in Santa Fe is very carefully looked after.

Oh well, 18 yrs and holding. Leave around the 6th for Santa Fe/if the weather is OK and if there is space in front of my building to park for a day in order to load up.

Will carefully check the road conditions. Do not want to be caught in an I-40 blizzard in Oklahoma. NO NO NO. Anyway, I carry my own food and will have an extra blanket and a snorkel (well, perhaps not a snorkel).

Left my snows in Santa Fe as I didn't expect (what else is new) to be here past the end of November. This should be interesting.
smithpatrick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: RED HOT RESISTOR PACK Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I too also just installed a new resistor pack. I didn't place it back into its hole, just to check operation. Without the blower being in the on position, This resistor pack heats up to, too hot to touch. And I saying why did my resistor pack burn out?? I disconnected it until I figure out what to do. Anyone else know this problem or have a solution?
2001 e46 325i manual
kurt_92_318i

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it really get red hot or just too hot to touch?

The reason it is in the duct work is to cool it when it does get hot. It gets hot because it is reducing voltage to the motor to make it run slower.

Did the fan run when you tried it? It might actually be OK. My resistor pack burned out a few years ago, I replaced it and it has been fine.

Not saying you don't have a motor problem, it might just be OK.

Kurt
smithpatrick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: RED HOT RESISTOR PACK Reply with quote

When the resistor pack is installed, without the fan being in the on position, The resistor pack get hot enough to give off an odor of something burning.
Yes my fan works on all 4 settings, but i fear not for long.
Why is there heat disappation when no power is being used?
2001 e46 325i manual
PJK

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Smithpatric,

We need more info here.

I am assuming that the car is your '95 e36.

Does the blower run when the blower switch is off?

Will the blower switch control the blower speed?

Do you have the park heating ventilation system?

Phil
smithpatrick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Too Hot, for my mental confort Reply with quote

Hello Phil,
Correct 1995 e36 manufactured 10/94
I have the dual manual temperature controls.
No the blower does not run when it is not on a numbered setting. It will run on setting 1,2,3 and 4.
Do I have Park heat ventilation, I have a dial on the opposite side of the switch across from the numbers.
Normally I do not turn the fan to the off position just off of the numbered settings and it is here that I get the burning odor. I haven't as yet placed the resistor when I have the unit completely off, but I shall try it.
2001 e46 325i manual
PJK

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have the answer for you. There are four blower speed settings. As you turn the control lower than the one setting the blower resistor tap remains the same until you get to zero. The variable part of the control does not change the blower but rather throttles the air flow by partially closing doors in the heater box. As you get the the lower settings the air flow is diminished so the temperature of the resistor will rise. In the off or zero setting the system is off and there should be no current flowing through the resistor unless you have the park ventilation option and it is turning the blower on. The park ventilation is controlled by the OBC. If you have the option, you give up the timer or something.

Phil
yuanyelss.spam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't place it back into its hole, just to check operation. Without the blower being in the on position, This resistor pack heats up to, too hot to touch...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: