Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ignition switch advice, Genuine Volvo or MTC part

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mmaldin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Ignition switch advice, Genuine Volvo or MTC part Reply with quote

I need to replace my ignition switch. The Genuine Volvo part is around $80 and the MTC aftermarket part is around $25. Has anyone had experience with the MTC part?
Thanks, Michael

See all UnofficialBMW Ads
PJK

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch advice, Genuine Volvo or MTC part Reply with quote

Hi Michael,

I am not familar with the brand. Is it sold through a reliable supplier of parts for Volvo such as Pelicon is for BMW? Pelicon will usually give some indication of the quality of the parts they sell relative to the OEM part.

I was leaving town some time back and my brake light switch in my e36 failed so I needed a part in a hurry. I took a chance on a Durolast part from Autozone. It was fine and never gave me the imfamous false brake lighr warning. Later I took a chance on a Durolast voltage regulator for my old Mustang. This part regulated fine but barely would light the warning light when the engine was off. I tried an other one at the store and it was the same. There was a number for the manifacturer of the part in the box so I called them. They pretty much said that they make regulators to sort of fit may cars and they aren't about to be bothered if it isn't exact for my 45 year old car.

You can save a lot of money on aftermarket parts but sometimes it doesn't work out.

Phil
mmaldin wrote:
I need to replace my ignition switch. The Genuine Volvo part is around $80 and the MTC aftermarket part is around $25. Has anyone had experience with the MTC part?
Thanks, Michael
mmaldin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil,
Thanks for your reply, it is helpful. I actually made a mistake, I wanted to post this on the brickboard forum. I have no idea how I posted it here. I must be getting old.
Thanks,
Michael
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: