Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New guy with noise question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JayMac

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: New guy with noise question Reply with quote

First time posting on this forum. I hope one of you can confirm or steer me in the right direction. I purchased a 1997 328is for a daily driver and my son to use a D/E events. Since the car was 12 plus years old when we got it, I knew we would be fixing/upgrading as we found things out. I went down to CMP this weekend and only put in two laps. Under hard cornering I would get a bang from the rear. It would only happen once and then no noise or steering issues that I could feel. I would say that it is near max lateral or g force in the turn. Rather than risk any damage I called it a day and proceeded to see if I could find the issue. I have the rear interior out of the car so you get a pretty good feeling of where the sound comes from. Left rear between the dif and the hub. I just had my end links replaced. They were seized up and we thought that was the culprit. After removing the rear wheel we check for bearing play and found none. The consensus was the the bushings may need replacing. I am sure they are all original. I crawled around underneath today and didn't find anything else that I could see. Since it is almost impossible to tell if the bushing is shot without dropping the rear end I am going to start with the assumption that it is. Work already done on this car:
new brakes with braided lines
new shocks
new springs
x-brace
strut brace
limited slip dif
single mass flywheel
new sway bar end links
K&N filter
Kirk roll bar
Kirkey seats
Any help is appreciated!
Jay

PJK

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New guy with noise question Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

Since the shocks were replaced I assume the rear top shock mounts have also been replaced. Those things will make noise when they are worn.

The e36 has a reputation of cracks around the rear subframe. I have not suffered that yet but I would suggest that you check that out.

Phil

JayMac wrote:
First time posting on this forum. I hope one of you can confirm or steer me in the right direction. I purchased a 1997 328is for a daily driver and my son to use a D/E events. Since the car was 12 plus years old when we got it, I knew we would be fixing/upgrading as we found things out. I went down to CMP this weekend and only put in two laps. Under hard cornering I would get a bang from the rear. It would only happen once and then no noise or steering issues that I could feel. I would say that it is near max lateral or g force in the turn. Rather than risk any damage I called it a day and proceeded to see if I could find the issue. I have the rear interior out of the car so you get a pretty good feeling of where the sound comes from. Left rear between the dif and the hub. I just had my end links replaced. They were seized up and we thought that was the culprit. After removing the rear wheel we check for bearing play and found none. The consensus was the the bushings may need replacing. I am sure they are all original. I crawled around underneath today and didn't find anything else that I could see. Since it is almost impossible to tell if the bushing is shot without dropping the rear end I am going to start with the assumption that it is. Work already done on this car:
new brakes with braided lines
new shocks
new springs
x-brace
strut brace
limited slip dif
single mass flywheel
new sway bar end links
K&N filter
Kirk roll bar
Kirkey seats
Any help is appreciated!
Jay
JayMac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: New guy with noise question Reply with quote

I will look into that. I am ordering all of the bushings and mounts for the rear end. While I maybe trying to sound optimistic I think it may be the bushings rather than the cracking. No expert but here is what I have done so far. You are correct that the shock mounts were replaced. The rear of the car is empty, no carpet or anything like that. Nothing visible from the top but that does not mean there is no problem either. The car has @170,000 miles on it. I am guessing from all of the receipts I got with it when purchased that all of the bushings are original. The sound is not a rattle or a vibration. It is a one time clunk,bang,pop depending on your choice of descriptive words. I do not get anything under hard acceleration nor hard braking. Just one time at hard cornering. I thought that the rubber inside the bushing is probably toast and since I am loading it up it gives or releases the pressure. I did find a post somewhere saying that you get a "clunk from the trunk" when the rear sub mounts go bad. I will check it all. I am trying to find someone who had the bushings go bad before they were replaced and see if the sound is similar. I am sure that once we drop the rear we will find the culprit pretty quickly.
Jay
yelcab1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have gotten a used M3, they have reinforced rear sub frame which the 328is does not. A bang at maximum lateral force is bad news and you were wise to call it quits.

Need to check the rear subframe mount where the suspension connects to the body. If you find cracks, you need to fix it by some expert welding of reinforcement material.

Or, get an M3.
JayMac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we took the whole thing apart. Ordered the bushing kit from Turner as well as the reinforcement plates for the car. Found a bad joint on the left axle but the cause of the noise was a worn bolt on the lower bushing for the hub. The kit from Turner upgrades the bushing and he new bolts are in. The body looked great, no cracks or damage and we are putting in the plate Monday. All and all not bad for a 13 year old car with 170, 000 on the clock. Tracking at VIR in two weeks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: