Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Motor Dies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:08 am    Post subject: Motor Dies Reply with quote

car is '93 318is manual M42 engine.
While getting a ticket for unattended parking, I forgot I had the car in 1st and let go of the clutch. Car lurched forward but with foot on brakes did not go very far. I restarted the engine and it immediately died. In order to keep it alive I had to give it quite a bit of gas but as soon as I let go of the gas, it dies again. Any ideas what I broke?

I now have to figure out how to get it out of the parking garage under power. The ramps are tight and I need my power steering.
walshja

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon, sometimes if I start my car, then very soon shut it off, I get in this cycle where the engine runs like crap, where I need to keep the gas on to keep it running. after a few minutes it clears up on its own. I have no idea why that happens, but it only happens if I start the car and kill the engine after it has been sitting overnight.

I'm wondering if you are experiencing the same thing? Have you tried to keep the car running for a few minutes? letting it clear itself

1994 325iC, 195k miles
http://home.comcast.net/~walshja/index.html <--- check it out

geminiys

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walshja, I would check your ICV. I had similar issue as yours and my ICV shutter was sticky causing to stay close whenever it was left overnight. Replaced the ICV and problem went away.

Jon, check your air boot and vacuum hoses. During a jerk like that old hoses might of cracked causing a vacuum leak and making your engine to shut off.
walshja

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geminiys, I think I explained it incorrectly. if the car has been sitting overnight, it starts fine.

but if it sits overnight, and I start the car, then quickly turn it off, when I restart the engine it runs like crap for a few minutes

any idea on that situation?

1994 325iC, 195k miles

geminiys

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intermittent problems are tough to find but I still think your problem can be in several places
1. ICV
2. Camshaft, Pulse Generator sensor
3. Fuel pressure

You can clean the ICV but since you are already there I would just replace it.
Camshaft you can check but cannot fix. Replacement only part.
Fuel pressure it can be a pump itself or water in the system.
PJK

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor Dies Reply with quote

This strikes me as a huge ammount of false air. Get a piece of rubber tubing which will fit into your ear. With the engine running with the minimum throttle required to keep it running probe around with the other end of the tubing. Probe around the brake boster check valve, ICV, and the ductwork from the air flow meter to the throttle body.
When you find the leak you may be able to plug it with modeling clay untill you get the car home and do a proper repair.

Phil

jon wrote:
car is '93 318is manual M42 engine.
While getting a ticket for unattended parking, I forgot I had the car in 1st and let go of the clutch. Car lurched forward but with foot on brakes did not go very far. I restarted the engine and it immediately died. In order to keep it alive I had to give it quite a bit of gas but as soon as I let go of the gas, it dies again. Any ideas what I broke?

I now have to figure out how to get it out of the parking garage under power. The ramps are tight and I need my power steering.
PJK

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe,

In addition to what geminiys has suggested I think pulling the codes might be usefull. If you can't find a shop to do this free or cheap I would suggest a Peak.

Phil

http://www.peakeresearch.com/

walshja wrote:
geminiys, I think I explained it incorrectly. if the car has been sitting overnight, it starts fine.

but if it sits overnight, and I start the car, then quickly turn it off, when I restart the engine it runs like crap for a few minutes

any idea on that situation?
walshja

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no codes ever get thrown, I have the Peake tool.

this only happens when I start the car and kill the engine, then start it again. so it's not really a problem as I hardly every do that. I seem to remember a thread about vapor lock? I have no idea what that is, but it sure sounds fancy !!!

1994 325iC, 195k miles

PJK

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe,

I think vapor lock is highly unlikley in a fuel injected car. The fuel is under fairly high pressure from the fuel tank to the fuel rail.

It would occur in hot weather in carburated cars with cam driven fuel pumps. The fuel would vaporise in the fuel lines and the fuel pump would fail to keep the float bowl full. I think it was more common with marginal fuel pumps.

It was the nemeses of drivers of old Ford flathead V8s in hot weather. The funky little fuel pump was mounted on top of the engine and got toasty warm. In hot weather I carried bottles of water to pour on the pump and fuel lines when driving my '41 Mercury. My next car, a '50 Ford also had a similar flathead V8 however vapor lock was not a big problem with it.

Phil

walshja wrote:
no codes ever get thrown, I have the Peake tool.

this only happens when I start the car and kill the engine, then start it again. so it's not really a problem as I hardly every do that. I seem to remember a thread about vapor lock? I have no idea what that is, but it sure sounds fancy !!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: