Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Convertible trouble

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vmckague

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:05 am    Post subject: Convertible trouble Reply with quote

Hello haven't posted in a long time but here goes. 98 323 IC. Tried to lower top and about 1/2 way down I heard something pop. Top went down slowly but the little red light on console kept blinking. OK thought I would raise it and try cycling it. About half way up it stopped. Nothing I could do would make it work. Finally pulled emergency handle under back seat to get it up and closed. My question, is there anyway to just use the top as a manual and raise and lower it buy hand? I afraid its going to cost alot more than my wife will let me spend to fix it. Thanks for any help.
vmckague

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have any ideas??
walshja

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really have no idea without seeing the car, but if you heard a pop, like something snapping, it is probably the strap which controls the entire mechanism.

I hear it isn't a couple hour job to replace, but if you search on this forum, I seem to remember someone posting direction on how to fix a broken strap.

Sorry to hear of your troubles

1994 325iC, 195k miles
http://home.comcast.net/~walshja/index.html <--- check it out

Fitz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for delay, not been on much myself. I would not advise using the roof manually with the motors disconnected. It's for emergency to get the roof up, if you use it to drop the roof, the lid does not lock and could lift with wind at speed, then your repairs are big, plus you risk the lid ripping off and hitting the car behind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: