Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shocks/Struts KONI'S or Bilstein
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MKJ_COLO

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Shocks/Struts KONI'S or Bilstein Reply with quote

I need to change shocks [dampers if you are from the UK]. I am seriousily thinking of KONI Street shocks STR-t. Has anyone one had any experience with these. My other choice would be Bilstein Touring. I would like the HDs but with 200K+ mileage is it worth it.

MKJ
84 318i BMW
89- Mitsubishi PU
94- 325is
71- Lotus type 65
rchachi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouold go with the billsteins. I think theyhave a lifetime warranty. I have used them before and they were great
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Bilstein person. Are they worth it? If you intend to keep your vehicle than I think so. DO have a lifetime warranty. And they HONOR IT. I had to use it twice on the rear shocks for my E-36. That is, until they redesigned the shock.

Here's the drill: Definitely save your original receipt. Then call it into Bilstein. They'll bill your card for about the cost of one purchased at BMP or Bavarian...about 1/2 of list price, send you a new shock. You install new shock. Then send old leaky one back to Bilstein...save their box. And upon inspection Bilstein will remove the charge.

Had to do this 2 or 3 times till redesign of rear shock for E-36. Most recent was this summer. One leaky shock. And because of redesign Bilstein sent 2 new rears to me. No charge. One to replace the leaky one and the other because they install in pairs and its a redesign. Nice.

5 day ground is best to ship this stuff. Cheapest.

Front struts are 137K miles old and strong.

Years ago (my 2002tii days) it was Bilsteins on bmws and konis on porsches. I still hold to this.

Great people to do business with. Simply save receipt of purchase.
mmaldin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need to do the same job, am in fact over due.
Was planning on Boge because I am not interested in a firmer ride. Should I consider bilsteins?
MKJ_COLO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Bilstien Boge etc Reply with quote

I have rejected Boge because of the cost. Bilstien Touring is advertised as the same as the OE but cheaper. I feel it is a better product.

Just my opinion.

MKJ
mmaldin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been putting off this project due to the cost of the boge replacements. I will look into Bilsteins, thanks.
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found the Bilstein without lowering the vehicle with new springs (forgot whether these are the HD's or the Touring...easy to find out) is a much better ride and not a firmer ride. Extremely good control, smooths out bad roads. Best and only mod I've added. They are definitely not harsh.
MKJ_COLO

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Bilstein Reply with quote

HD and Sport are painted yellow and the touring are black

MKJ
mmaldin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJK.
I am still contemplating this project. Did you go ahead with the Bilstein
Touring? Results?
PJK

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I typed a long story reply to this and as I was spell checking it, it vanished.

Here is the short story:

I have Bilstien heavy duty shocks all around. I had the front struts done and I did the rear shocks myself a few months ago.

I am happy with the handling and the ride is good.

Here are my comments on the rear. If the upper mounts have not been upgraded to the e46 part do so now. There is a stiffening plate to add as well.

The OEM dust covers attach the bumpers on top of the shock. The Bilstiens have the bumper inside so there is no place to mount the dust covers. You either have to forget about them or go to an off road store and get those bellows things you see on the off road trucks. You will need some big fender washers to put at the top the the shaft of the shock to hold the top of the bellows. The hole in the washer needs to be larger than the threaded part of the shaft but small enough to not pass below the top threaded part.

Phil
mmaldin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I upgraded to e46 shock mounts and stiffeners a few years ago, so I have that addressed. My main concern in choosing a new set of shocks is the ride quality. How do you like the HD's? I have read some feedback of them being harsh. I would be OK with a somewhat firmer ride than my OE shocks/struts but would be bummed to have a harsh a ride.
Anyone else with Bilstein HD's with some feedback?
shlalaw

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJK wrote:
The OEM dust covers attach the bumpers on top of the shock. The Bilstiens have the bumper inside so there is no place to mount the dust covers. You either have to forget about them or go to an off road store and get those bellows things you see on the off road trucks. You will need some big fender washers to put at the top the the shaft of the shock to hold the top of the bellows. The hole in the washer needs to be larger than the threaded part of the shaft but small enough to not pass below the top threaded part. Phil

-i'm confused. i replaced my oem rear shocks with bilstein touring, and used the stock dust covers with new bump stops. also replaced the paper gasket, shock mounts, and installed reinforcement plates.
PJK

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the story.

When I was about to do my rear shocks I looked under the car and noticed that the dust covers had fallen to the bottom of the shocks. I assumed that the tops of the covers had broken off. Along with the rest of the parts I bought new covers. When I started to do the work and removed the wheels I noticed that the old covers were fine but the bumpers to which the covers mounted were rotten away. I then called Pelican and explained that I forgot to to get the bumpers. They told me that the Bilsteins had bumpers internally and I should not use the external bumpers. I asked what I was to do about the dust covers. They said I could either forget about them or if I insisted on having covers I could go to a four wheel drive place and get the bellows things.

Phil

shlalaw wrote:
PJK wrote:
The OEM dust covers attach the bumpers on top of the shock. The Bilstiens have the bumper inside so there is no place to mount the dust covers. You either have to forget about them or go to an off road store and get those bellows things you see on the off road trucks. You will need some big fender washers to put at the top the the shaft of the shock to hold the top of the bellows. The hole in the washer needs to be larger than the threaded part of the shaft but small enough to not pass below the top threaded part. Phil

-i'm confused. i replaced my oem rear shocks with bilstein touring, and used the stock dust covers with new bump stops. also replaced the paper gasket, shock mounts, and installed reinforcement plates.
shlalaw

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"They told me that the Bilsteins had bumpers internally and I should not use the external bumpers."

I stand corrected. I did not know that. Now I have to check with Bilstein, and see if I really need to remove my external bumpers.
PJK

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please do report what Bilstien says. Thinking about it, why should external bumpers hurt if you have them internally?

I could have saved myself a good bit of time and some money if I just used new external bumpers with the Bilstiens.

Phil

shlalaw wrote:
"They told me that the Bilsteins had bumpers internally and I should not use the external bumpers."

I stand corrected. I did not know that. Now I have to check with Bilstein, and see if I really need to remove my external bumpers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: