Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Steering wheel electrical (?) failure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rickysa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Steering wheel electrical (?) failure Reply with quote

Had to replace the steering rack (went well) and upon receiving the car after the post-installation, noticed that nothing on the steering wheel worked: horn, cruise, computer control ('01 525 touring E39), etc. and the airbag light stays on

The seat control does work. I removed the airbag to check on contacts, and all plugs (2) are plugged in.

Any thoughts?

Rick

See all UnofficialBMW Ads
edjack

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You replaced it yourself? Or, did you farm it out. Not clear.

If you farmed it out, looks like the mechanic disconnected part of the SRS without disconnecting the battery first.

Take it back and have them get the SRS reset, as well as verifying all connectors associated with the steering wheel controls.

Not clear why he had to futz with the steering wheel at all. The onus is on him

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
Rickysa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply ed...I replaced it myself

I just took it for an alignment...all the connections to the steering wheel are intact (only two)

It wasn't a stealership, so they don't have a way to reset the SRS (I've got DIS etc)...I am just curious what would knock out everything on the wheel.

I didn't touch the wheel during the rack replacement, but did disconnect the battery just in case...they might have during the alignment (?)...but my real concern isn't the SRS, my wife is kinda pissed she can't toot the horn and use the cruise control...drives nice tho!
edjack

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you wait 16 min before disconnecting the battery? If not, you may have scrambled some electronics. It takes that long for the car to go to sleep.

Was the ignition turned on when you disconnected?

Try a reboot. After the car goes to sleep (the trunk light will go out), disconnect the battery and wait 15-20 min, then reconnect. This may clear it. Otherwise, you'll need to find an indie with the proper tool to read and reset the appropriate modules and/or bus.

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
Rickysa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed,

Yeah, that's what I was thinking....I doubt the folks that did the alignment knew to do that. I believe they removed the airbag to do some steering wheel alignment and that is what has jimmyed things up.

No chance of an indie in the area...that's why I got the DIS system...just haven't climbed up the learning curve as to how to apply it.

I'm going to try removing the (+) batt cable and grounding it on the car to reset and see what happens.

Thanks for the help
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: