Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

94 318is Won't start.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scoutermike

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:35 am    Post subject: 94 318is Won't start. Reply with quote

Hi my dad's BMW won't start. We have fuel in the tank, good battery, it turns over but won't start. Have checked for spark and have none. Can't hear the pump when you turn the key over but never have heard it before. Could it be a bad DME relay? or a cam or crank sensor? Thanks.

PJK

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 94 318is Won't start. Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

It seems that you have covered pretty much what I would suggest.

There is a DME relay as well as a fuel pump relay and fuse (F18). If there is compression the camshaft is turning and the valve timing can't be too far off. The DME relay as well as the crank position and cam position sensors are a good place to check. The sensors are shown as coils in the Bentley. I don't know the resistance but I would expect less than 100 Ohms if they are good.

I think your car is pre OBD-II so for reading the code I think you are at the mercy of the dealer or a reader from Peak industries.

Phil

scoutermike wrote:
Hi my dad's BMW won't start. We have fuel in the tank, good battery, it turns over but won't start. Have checked for spark and have none. Can't hear the pump when you turn the key over but never have heard it before. Could it be a bad DME relay? or a cam or crank sensor? Thanks.
shlalaw

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-have you tried a scan tool yet, such as a peake code reader?
jon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: 94 318is Won't start. Reply with quote

scoutermike wrote:

Hi Mike,
your post is remarkably like mine. I had the exact same symptoms - fuse OK, no spark, no fuel, no power to fuel pump relay. I did an additional check of sticking my nose in the exhaust, and only got a breath of fresh air when cranked. Turned out to be the crankshaft position sensor.
Got that changed and my car is back on the road.
scoutermike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad got a new crankshaft pos sensor and the car still won't start. Anymore idea's? The sensor had come loose and was damaged but a new one didn't help.
PJK

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got spark now?

Have you pulled the codes?

Look at the connector. sine the sensor was damaged the connector may have been damaged.

Phil

scoutermike wrote:
My dad got a new crankshaft pos sensor and the car still won't start. Anymore idea's? The sensor had come loose and was damaged but a new one didn't help.
pep357

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did u check your fuel pump make sure its working
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: