Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rear steel brake lines leaking '00 528i

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevepl17

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Rear steel brake lines leaking '00 528i Reply with quote

Just bought my 2000 528i, 53k miles--nice shape, but of course I expect some issues due to age. Yesterday the brake wear indicator light came on. I have some pulsing, so I knew I need to get it up and look at the brakes. Lo and behold, this morning I found a puddle behind the right rear wheel and of course had slushy bakes.
Looking at the steel line, it is leaking above the union with the hose to the caliper.
I sold my last 5 series in '00 and as it was only 3 years old at the time, I did no work to it myself. And this car is considerably different than my '87 3-series was....

My questions:

1.) Is the brake wear indicator unrelated? I didn't lift the front yet as the leak was more pressing. Seems like it should be unrelated, and, I have noted over the years, when it rains, it pours.

2.) Is there anything special about the steel line or can I just use an over-the-counter line to replace it with?

3.) Are there any diagrams on-line, or do I add to my ever-growing Haynes library?

Thanks for the help ahead of time....

walshja

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome Steve.

I can answer your 1st question, your brake wear indicator has nothing to do with your leak.

There are 2 brake wear sensors on your car, 1 in the front, 1 in the rear. The sensor is on the brake pad, and wears away as your brakes wear down. The general rule of thumb when doing your brakes is to replace everything: pads, rotors and sensor (if it's triggered). BMW charges $650 per axle for a brake job, you can do it all yourself for about $200 and a couple hours of work. This is an easy job.

1994 325iC, 195k miles
http://home.comcast.net/~walshja/index.html <--- check it out

stevepl17

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thanks,

I assumed they weren't related but wanted to throw that out there.
I have already checked around about part prices as well for the brakes--I do usually try to do them myself to save a buck or two...or 400...!
edjack

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the steel rusted through, or is the hose leaking? Very serious - I wouldn't drive it until I sorted that out.

The fittings on steel brake lines must be double-flared.

Get an E39 Bentley's:

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/bmw/5-series/540i/1997-2003/BMW-5-Series-E39-1997-2002-Repair-Manual.html

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
stevepl17

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

The steel line is rotted. The car has spend most of it's life in NE Ohio, the salted-road capitol of the world. I have decided to take it to a shop for convenience--I have the tools, but I would rather let someone else flare (I hate flaring lines) and bend the lines.

Thanks for the tip on the manual--Bentleys is better than Haynes? I have a vintage Mini and my Haynes is like a Bible to me...
edjack

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not seen a Haynes for the E39. The Bentleys' comes in two thick volumes, lots of info. Consider also getting the BMW TIS and ETK. You can get bootleg copies on ebaY.

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: