Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1997 528i Radiator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Vollenweider

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: 1997 528i Radiator Reply with quote

My radiator tank exploded yesterday. This is the third radiator in the past 8 years that I have had to replace. Can you just replace the tank on radiator? If so, where can I get one.

Please let me know,

John

walshja

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john, what exactly is blowing?

your radiator? or the overflow tank. you can replace either by itself.

usually what breaks is the plastic neck which connects to the upper radiator hose, I have had 3 BMWs and all 3 broke in that spot. replacing either is a rather easy job, you could save yourself a lot of money doing it yourself.

I have never had a problem with the overflow tank blowing, although I did have a problem on my E36 where the overflow dip tub was causing erroneous low coolant messages.

1994 325iC, 195k miles
http://home.comcast.net/~walshja/index.html <--- check it out

edjack

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the E39 has an especially problematic cooling system. The only long-term solution is to buy the Zionsville system, but it's not cheap. Some say it's cheaper to keep replacing the rad and exp tank every few years as a preventative measure. Bear in mind that the six is quite vulnerable to damage from overheating.

http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/store/screen/prod/store_code/6134/product_code/E389SDCK.htm

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: