Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engine fails to crank

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tbailey4

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Engine fails to crank Reply with quote

I am working on a friends 89 535, automatic. It has failed to crank. I am not getting voltage to the solenoid. Starter fires if I hot wire voltage to the solenoid. I have no wiring diagrams but I assume the energizing line should pass through a neutral safety switch. My questions are, 1. Where is the neutral safety switch? 2. Are these cars equipped with a low voltage relay circuit that prevents the vehicle from starting when battery voltage is too low? After an hour of trouble shooting, I realized that the alternator is not charging the battery so battery voltage was down to 10.3volts. Any advice or wiring diagrams will be much appreciated. Thanks, Tim
edjack

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, charge the battery.

Does the dashboard shift indicator agree with the shift lever position? If not, the trans switch is bad or misadjusted. It's concentric with the shift selector on the side of the trans.

If you think you may be wrenching on this car in future, get the Bentley's. Your friend can pay for it.

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/bmw/5-series/535i/1989-1993/BMW-5-Series-E34-1989-1995-Repair-Manual.html

BTW, the most common reason for no alt output is worn-out brushes, which are part of the regulator.

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
tbailey4

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will check the shift indicator, thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: