Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SmartNav (Trafficmaster) unit wiring or pictures pleae?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alanfp

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: SmartNav (Trafficmaster) unit wiring or pictures pleae? Reply with quote

Hi

I'm aware this might be a UK only question...

My wife has a SmartNav unit that drains about 4-5 W (0.4 A) continuously, even when not in use. Obviously this causes a problem with a flat battery if she doesn't use the car for 4-5 days. I understand that this is 'a feature, not a fault'. So I want to install an inline switch to power the thing on/off. But I have no diagrams or photos of what to look for under the dash.

I need to see where the power feeds into the unit.

I've Googled but all I find is firms who offer to install one for me. I can see what I think is the unit, but there are so many wires that I might easily get it wrong.

Any ideas? Or any links to any photos? Or any online installation instructions? Or even wiring diagram might help if it gives colours of wires.

I really don't fancy removing EVERY wiring loom, cable clip, relay that I can see behind the glove box!
edjack

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a Smartnav? Was it installed by the dealer/audio house? Is it built into the dashboard? Or on a stalk?

If you can identify the bundle of wires going to the unit, using a sharp probe with your DMM, you s/b able to find the "hot" wire.

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
paul2807

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I have the Trafficmaster Smartnav installed and I also have the same problem on a 525 which occurs if the car hasnt been used for a couple of days.
I took the screen away, from the dash (one screw and then unclip the cable from the display) but this hasnt resolved the issue.
Did you find a resolution for this problem?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: