Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

From E30 to E36/ Catalytic Converter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyshadetreebmw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:55 am    Post subject: From E30 to E36/ Catalytic Converter Reply with quote

Hey team, I will be spending more time here now. My son's E30 got hammered in a parking lot crash a couple weeks ago and he now is the excited owner of a 1998 328is. It is a very nice one with 140K. Paid $4K. The first issue is that the previous owner had a check engine light on and the dealer identified the problem as catalytic converter, quoting her a $2K repair of said catalytic converter. (hence the good deal at $4K).

But as my name would suggest, I am thinking of putting a catalytic converter from one of my E30 parts cars on the E36. Am I incorrect in thinking that this will work? Seems to me that it should be OK. We do not have emissions testing here, so I am not worried about minor exhaust variances, so long as the engine performs OK.
PJK

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: From E30 to E36/ Catalytic Converter Reply with quote

I think that your e36 is late enough to have pre and post cat O2 sensors. The pre cat sensors keep the O2 levels at the point where the more sophisticated cat can do its job. The post cat sensors verify that the cat is doing its job. I don't think the older cat will keep the post cat O2 sensors happy so you will get an error message.

Phil
kyshadetreebmw wrote:
Hey team, I will be spending more time here now. My son's E30 got hammered in a parking lot crash a couple weeks ago and he now is the excited owner of a 1998 328is. It is a very nice one with 140K. Paid $4K. The first issue is that the previous owner had a check engine light on and the dealer identified the problem as catalytic converter, quoting her a $2K repair of said catalytic converter. (hence the good deal at $4K).

But as my name would suggest, I am thinking of putting a catalytic converter from one of my E30 parts cars on the E36. Am I incorrect in thinking that this will work? Seems to me that it should be OK. We do not have emissions testing here, so I am not worried about minor exhaust variances, so long as the engine performs OK.
kyshadetreebmw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks! I thought I saw info about multiple 02 sensors. Do the post cat sensors only report an error alert or do they also affect air mix? I was also wondering about the usual failure rate for these converters, as in how many miles is usual before fail. Anyone have info about common problems with being too rich causing early converter failure?
geminiys

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get aftermarket cats for non-California BMW's for about $500 a pair. They are a bit more expensive if California certified.
mif_slim

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, havent been on this site for a couple of years.

Anyways, I have a 96 328iS and one reason why its sitting in the lot is because I still havent found a good cat for it. Price will never drop and I dont want to waste money on used ones. From your location, it seems that your not in CA so I think your lucky. Just purchase a cat on catgeeks.com or something and you can get them for 450-500. Im in Cali so I have to fork over 2k for mines. Good luck finding one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: