Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

stubborn lower control arm 2000 328i

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
patrickf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:26 am    Post subject: stubborn lower control arm 2000 328i Reply with quote

I am replacing the lower control arms on my 2000 328i. All went well on the driver's side but I can't remove the lower ball joint on the right side (outer, connected to wheel). I have a ball joint separator locked on to the point where it is beginning to bend the bolt. Looking for hints, tricks, suggestions. I have squirted PB Blaster to no effect.

I was thinking of removing the ball joint separator and using a pickle fork instead. But I'm afraid of harming the suspension setting by whacking on it.
edjack

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pickle fork is a barbaric way to separate joints, but, if you have to, you have to. If you have an air chisel, use the fork made for it.

I would crank down on the separator, and leave it set overnight. May pop then.

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
patrickf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly! The pickle fork was a last resort. I did leave the ball joint separator cranked down overnight hoping I would see it hanging in the morning but now such luck.

So I will be trying an air chisel shortly. Man, this one is on there. I'm hosed if I can't get it off. Who said this job was easy?! Good thing the garage is heated.
patrickf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, its done. After I made the bolt on the lower control arm bushing look like a bent finger I tried the pickle fork and winced. I was ready with the air chisel but opted for heat. I cut off the bent portion of the bolt. A friend of mine brought over his acetylene torch and we heated up the housing around the bolt. I struck the pickle fork in there and with a tap, it released. Finally.

A test drive confirmed the obvious, the bushings were shot. Tight tight tight. Awesome. The PowerFlex urethane bushings are so much better than stock BMW rubber bushings.

What I don't understand is the BMW fix for this. They went to a stronger, 66mm control arm but did nothing to upgrade the outer bushing (I purchased Mayle's). I would think they would re-design that portion too. So, I went aftermarket.

I purchased both from bimmerworld. Very satisfied.

Thanks for the advice.
SSearch

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've fought with ball joints, pitman arms, etc - Living in Vermont, trust me, some of them have put up a good fight. I usually crank the seperator down, and then give the top of the bolt a solid whack. The shock tends to be just what's needed for the stubborn ones.
ddupy

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 93 318is that I replaced the control arms on. They just practically fell off!! I guess I was just lucky............
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: