Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Timing belt suddenly lost tension
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bimmerboy1989

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Timing belt suddenly lost tension Reply with quote

I was driving my car to the inspection station. As I pulled into the station the car started running funny. Sounded like it was missing badly. I turned the car off immediately. I then changed the spark plugs. Changed the wires. Still not running right. I decided to check the timing belt. I felt the belt and the tension on the belt is gone. I could push the belt into the timing cover. I am not happy about this. I had a Contitech timing belt and tensioner. When I pull the belt and tensioner off and see that the tensioner failed, I will have totally lost all faith in any contitech product. This could've ruined my engine. Luckily I was smart enough not ot drive it home and snap the belt or make it pop off the sprocket or something.
peerless

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Contitech kit you buy aftermarket is made in Mexico. The Contitech belt and tensioner from the dealer is make in Germany. And yes the tensioner's are built differently, the german dealer part is much beefier and better constructed.

Matter of fact I noticed today my aftermarket tensioner is wobbling and making noise too, has about 35,000 miles on it.

Thats why I buy from the dealer whenever possible.

Looks like I will be doing a timing belt and tensioner on my car in the very near future, maybe even tomorrow.

Glad you caught yours in time.

E30 Repair and Maintenance Services
714-398-8405
Bimmerboy1989

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really glad I caught it. I will have to have the car towed home. I am going to check and see how much my buddy at the dealer can get me a tensioner and belt. If it is too much I am going to go with a Gates tensioner and belt. They are made in the USA, so I know it is good.
JRS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing happened to me almost 2 years ago.

I had just had my t-belt, tensioner, w-pump, and all hoses (and v-belts) replaced. Two weeks later I stopped by a gas station to fill up. When I started the car, I heard a metal-to-metal pinging noise. I was less than 1 mile away from home.

The t-belt busted.

It was the tensioner that failed. The mechanic repaced the top-end of the engine and put in a new tensioner and t-belt.

It's been running since...

JRS

Is your cup half full or half empty ?
cmcon98

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That scares me. I just did mine last summer, but I don't remember the brand of the products I used. I think I got them from Bav Auto tho. Is this type of thing common? I REALLY don't feel like doing the whole thing again, but I'm replacing the radiator, thermostat, and all the hoses soon (preventive) so maybe I'll throw a German belt and tensioner in it too. Sigh. What a PITA!
haber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what about the tensioner has failed on you. The bearings are the only thing that could cause it to loose tension and I expect that would about cause the pully to begin screeching and fall off. Once tension is set it is locked down with a screw. If the screw came loose then that is/was the installer's mistake.

Just curious to know. I am also wary of things made in Mexico. Should be OK but too many stories of poor quality.
cmcon98

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haber, I was wondering the same thing. I don't see how the tensioner could fail other than the tensioner wheel or bearing failing, or the tensioner spring applying inadequate pressure at initial adjustment (before the bolt is locked down), but you'd think the belt would fail almost immediately if that were the case.
Bimmerboy1989

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have approximately 40,000 miles on this belt. I drove it yesterday and the timing belt let go. I haven't go into it yet, but I will be next week. I will keep you posted on what exactly happened.
peerless

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I double checked mine today. Turns out the water pump bearing is shot and making noise. The tensioner does have a slight visual wobble to it when running.

Water pump made by Graf in Italy, timing belt and tensioner made by Contitech of Mexico, all of it going out after about 35,000 miles.

Granted I do drive my car pretty hard though.

I wanted to edit this real quick, I checked a contitech kit I have in the garage, the belt is made in Mexico, but the tensioner does say Germany on it.

Timing belts are easy to do, I am wondering if the recommended maintenance should be reduced to 40K miles under severe conditions, such as racing or hard performance driving?

E30 Repair and Maintenance Services
714-398-8405
dt325ic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, but has anyone recently experienced bad problems with ContiTech timing belts and tesioners? I'm going to replace my timing belt, tensioner, and water pump this month, so I wanted to make sure.

Thanks!
Dane
'88 325iC
cmcon98

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've hard about this several times and I still don't get it. Aside from the metal tensioner frame bending or breaking (highly unlikely to impossible) or the tensioner wheel bearing completely failing (would make a horrible noise for a while before total failure) how can the tensioner "fail"? Once the tension is set, the tensioner frame is bolted down to the front of the engine block. If the belt goes slack suddenly, the likely cause is that the tensioner lock bolt was not tightened correctly and allowed the tensioner to move, thus allowing the belt to go slack.

If there's any other failure mode for the tensioner (not the belt), please enlighten me.
Quincy56

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed the tensioner on the AutoHaus AZ site is a Ina/SKF. Any words on this one?

I'll need to do mine soon when I change my head gasket.

John

92 325ic - Isabelle
91 318i - Oscar - RIP
89 325i - Otis - RIP
tncean

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tensioner I recently got from AutohausAZ says made in Slovakia on the box.
The tbelt says made in Mexico. PS belt in Germany.
I'm going to an OReillys' look at a Gates tbelt today, about 27$ with tax.

Oil seals, gaskets, German made.

Plan to do a tbelt, find oil seal leak, later this week.

t
Quincy56

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if a Slovakian one is better than a Mexican one Smile

92 325ic - Isabelle
91 318i - Oscar - RIP
89 325i - Otis - RIP
tncean

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question.

t
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: