Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clutch Went Out While Parked..?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Z Cars Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wdmallery

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Clutch Went Out While Parked..? Reply with quote

My 1997 Z3 was parked for a few days and when I cranked it, the clutch pedal depressed way too easily and is not working. I hoped for a quick fix like a disconnected cable but in looking under the dash could find nothing. Can someone help me trouble shoot this? I don't want to have it towed. I can fix most things with a little guidance.

Thanks.
David
wdmallery@yahoo.com
662-518-1401

edjack

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's either the clutch slave or master cylinder.

Try bleeding the clutch circuit. Make sure the master cylinder reservoir is full.

Dismount the slave cylinder, but leave the hose connected. Push the actuator rod all the way in. Let it out slowly. Repeat 3 times. Remount slave cylinder.

Good idea to orient the cylinder so that the hose connection is at the highest-most position, so the air can be flushed out.

If this doesn't do it, try rebuilding, or replacing, the slave cylinder.

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
wdmallery

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: ... clutch info... Reply with quote

Thanks for the response.

What is a good reference to help me identify the location(s)/ methods for doing that?
wdmallery

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Clutch pedal Reply with quote

My clutch pedal is not on the floor, but springs back..? It just has very little pressure when I push it down.

Also, on the Z3, does the clutch share fluid from the brake fluid reservoir?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Z Cars Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: