Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

740i Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
piper

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: 740i Questions Reply with quote

I'm a noobie here, so please don't jump on me.

In my opinion, the E38/1999-era 740i is the most beautiful 4-door sedan ever made. There's just something about its subtle slope, width and that little curve at the C-pillar that draws my eye every time I see one.

I could afford a new mid-range Lexus/Acura/Audi/Infiniti but my passion for this model just won't go away.

I'm an over 40 guy. The only thing I'd like better in a 740i is a manual transmission - has anyone successfully transplanted a 5-speed into one? Engine upgrades?
edjack

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm told a 6 speed is doable. Contact Brett Anderson, at Koala Morotsports, in the Cleveland area. He has transplanted 6 speeds into 540i wagons, so he should be able to do your 740i. He may even have already done it.

The 5 speed won't handle the torque of the V8.

THere are a few things available to spice up the engine, but, except for a supercharger or nitrous injection, you won't get a lot of bang for the buck. I believe you will be thrilled with a 6 speed. You can also investigate installing a higher-ratio differential, but fuel mileage will suffer.

BTW, I agree. The E38 is a very good-looking machine, by far the best-looking 7-series extant. Be aware, however, that it's loaded with electronic gizmos, and the Germans are not very good at these things, as are the Japanese, so you could be in for problems with some of the systems, and the dealer is the only one who can troubleshoot some of them.

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
piper

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Manual Transmission 740i Reply with quote

The only thing about the 740 I disliked was no option for a manual transmission. I guess it was a "luxury" model, so...

What do you mean, "very good-looking", are you blind? The thing is a fricking work of art! Oops, sorry, I have to learn to control my emotions when talking about this car.

I thought all the gizmos only arrived with iDrive stuff, but I admit to not knowing much, that's why I posted here.

The car won't be a daily driver as I walk to work and I'm willing to spend a few bucks for a manual transmission and maybe 50 extra BHP. The intent is not to make a hot rod.

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. I half expected to wait forever for anyone to notice my newbie question.
edjack

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last 7 series with a stick was the original 7 series - the E23, up to MY '87. This includes the 733i, 735i, and L7.

A stick was offered, but not many opted for it, just like the 3- and 5-series today.

The E38 has more electronic content than the E39 5-series.

Might want to browse this site, too; it's quite active:

http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e38/forum.php

edjack

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, "that little curve at the C-pillar" is called the "Hoffmeister Kink".

JTYLTK

piper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Hoffmeister Kink Reply with quote

Actually, the "curve" I was referring-to is pointed out here:

http://www.opti-grab.ca/hoffmeister.jpg

It's where the greenhouse meets the trunklid.

Yeah, I know I'm weird.

Paul
PJK

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before buying "Hitler's Revenge" (My wifes e32) we drove an e32 735i with a stick. Dinan nixed it so we bought the e32 740i from Allison. I have spent enough on trannys for that thing to have bought the 735i.
Last time I was really thinking of a stick conversion.

Phil

edjack wrote:
The last 7 series with a stick was the original 7 series - the E23, up to MY '87. This includes the 733i, 735i, and L7.

A stick was offered, but not many opted for it, just like the 3- and 5-series today.

The E38 has more electronic content than the E39 5-series.

Might want to browse this site, too; it's quite active:

http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e38/forum.php
robert1700

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMW sold 32 five speed 735i/l in the US in 1988.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: