Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

E28 Euro Dash Vent Upgrade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Parts for sale

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chefshawn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: E28 Euro Dash Vent Upgrade Reply with quote

In the mid-1980s, BMW discovered that "Americans" did not know how to use their air-conditioning system. To keep the stupid ones from screwing everything up and to piss off those who knew better, BMW made a couple of changes. First, they added a servo-motor to automatically close off the fresh-air flaps. They also made the center vent atop the dash inoperable. What was the complaint that caused this? Owners were saying that the air coming through the front vents was not moving effectively. These owners had the center vent open. BMW took your right to choose away.

The servo-motor isn't that big of a deal (until it fails), but you can do something about the second one. It's been over 20 years. It's time to get even. It's time to show BMW that you know how to use your air-conditioner (In case you're wondering, they don't care anymore.).

You might be saying, "Why should I care about this vent? I never use it." There's a pretty good reason you never use it. It doesn't work. If you've ever experienced an early-E28 with this vent, you should be missing it. Your backseat passengers are - even if they never knew it was supposed to be there, part of them dies when they ride in your car. That part is usually skin, and they lose a lot of water through sweating, but there's no need to get technical. This vent helps move airflow around the cabin. It sends air to the back seat and makes things more interesting with the sunroof in the vent position.

Anyway, everything is already in place for this vent to be operational - except the vent and the control wheel. That's what I have for you.

For $15 + shipping, I will send you the vent and the wheel.

Simply remove your old vent by removing the two screws towards the aft part of the dash. Then remove the clip that pins the linkage for the flap. I'd clean everything, but if that's not your thing, skip it. Then, just put the wheel in place, attach the linkage and put the new vent on.

If you're interested, I have three available. They're nice and clean. PM me.

~Shawn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Parts for sale All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: