Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M60 V8 idle irregularities

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
beamercharged

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: M60 V8 idle irregularities Reply with quote

My 530i E34 M60's idle is weird. Sometimes it idles at 650 - 700rpm but other times it could be around 1000 - 1050rpms.
I've checked all the vacuum hoses and breather valve at the back end of the intake manifold and all seem okay.
I was told that it could be the idle regulating valve. However, since the part is USD 300+ I want to be sure before I replace.
Any insight is appreciated.
edjack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idle control valve. It's at the front of the engine, on top, about the size of a small frozen juice can.

Try cleaning it with carb cleaner until it ratttles when shaken. Don't poke anything inside it. You'll have to remove it.

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
beamercharged

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response, edjack.
Cleaned the ICV with throttle body cleaner (turns out it was rattling freely before the cleaning) . The problem is still present.
Had the car diagnosed at authorized BMW workshop and no problems detected by the diagnostic computer. Could the ICV have gone bad without sending any error signal?
edjack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no direct experience with the ICV, but some who tried cleaning it ended up replacing it.

Might search this site, as well as this one:

http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/bmw/bmw-5-series-e34/forum.php

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
beamercharged

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the link. After reading the posts, I am now more convinced that I have an ICV that is not yet dead but with one leg already in the grave.

Regards,
Renaldi
beamercharged

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final report. I replaced the ICV, idle is better but did not solve the problem.

But now i could notice that sometimes when I lift off the gas slightly the engine seemed went dead for a fraction of a second before coming back to life.

Then, I was thinking more along the lines of a faulty Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). Grabbed my Bentley manual, checked the volts and found they are not as per the specs in Bentley. So I replaced the TPS. Started the car up, and it idles stable although at around 800rpm (normal for 530i M60 is 650 - 700).

Went out to test the car, was very surprised that the car was actually a lot worse (car jerks, rpm goes down very slowly when changing gears). Thought I messed something up and contemplating about taking the car to the workshop. About 10 minutes into the drive, stopped at a traffic light, idle suddenly drops to about 650 and stayed there calmly. As I moved, car did not jerk, rpm goes up and down smoothly. The idle has been beautiful ever since.

Talked to a BMW authorized workshop as I was picking up some parts, and they said that the first 10 minutes was rough because the ECU was in the process of calibrating the new TPS.

Problem solved.
ALPINA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in USA and UK ,, lot os owners had problem with early M60 because of sulphur in gasoline/petrol,,

the early M60 was nikasil,, later and M62 alusil,,

the compression is faulty at low rpm ((like idle)) lots of info on the internet about this,,

ps .. this is my guess

E30 CABRIO S3 8B38
ALPINA B10 BITURBO 346 @ 507

http://www.123.is/alpina/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: