Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RE: When Fuel Pump Running?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrickSykes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: RE: When Fuel Pump Running? Reply with quote

Yes, Kemo Sabe! I'm trying to figure out when, in the starting sequence, the fuel pumps actually start pumping. Do they 'run' the whole time the key is in the 'Run' position, or do they start 'pumping' only when the engine is cranking? My wife doesn't care for cars, so I don't have the extra hands to crank the engine while I'm listening 'out back.' I know I read that the pump will pump while the engine is cranking, but that it stops running if the engine doesn't start, and that makes sense. But, I've found that my transfer pump had a broken grounding strap so it wouldn't work at all, so I repaired it with solder so all the electrical continuity is there, but I can't tell if its pumping at all. Will someone explain to me the exact sequence that occurs whilst the engine is being 'cranked', okay?

Thanks....Brick

See all UnofficialBMW Ads
edjack

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need a service manual to determine how yours works. The older cars relied on a contact closure in the air vane to determine that the engine was turning over. Not sure about your car.

Did you get a Bentley's for the 7-series?

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
BrickSykes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: RE: When Fuel Pump Running? Reply with quote

Sorry being so long getting back. No, I didn't get the Series 7 Bentley...I'd heard that the earlier Series 5 was the more appropriate reference...Seems that is a matter of personal preference and opinion among users. I really haven't been too exhaustive with my diagnoses so far. I really enjoy 'winging it' and tweaking instinctively. Hit and Miss, I'll concede, but I almost consider the running-starting issues to be somewhat a battle of wits, if you know what I mean. Thanks for the clue in the AFM! Makes sense..

Brick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: