Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Steering box. on an '88 635csi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bimmerjo

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Steering box. on an '88 635csi Reply with quote

Does anybody know how to take the slack out of the steering box on a 1988 635csi? it could probably be rebuilt.. but i just dont have the time so i didnt know if there was a simple bolt you could twist to make the slack go away... its not a lot... just a little annoying thats all, thanks!!

1988 BMW 635CSi - Black
1988 BMW 325iX - Grey - Soon will be black
1986 BMW 325ES - Black
2008 Kawi ZZR600 - Black
1977 Custom Deluxe - Red
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
edjack

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is adjustable, but requires care. You need to disconnect the pitman arm, and have available a torque wrench that can measure 10 in-lbs.

If care is not exercised, the steering box can be destroyed. Get a Bentley's manual for the E32; it will cover many repairs for the 6 series.

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: