Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

That season again - Anyone ever replaced a/c evaporator+..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
m78

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: That season again - Anyone ever replaced a/c evaporator+.. Reply with quote

Receiver drier, condensor, expansion valve, pressure switch?

It has an upgraded 134 compressor but is not blowing cold.

How much work is it to do this?

Top Speed 220 km/h

(OO=00=OO)
85-325e

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M, it all depends upon how thourough you want to be. The evaporator for me was a pain in the butt. I wasn't able to get it out although I'm sure I could have in the end. I acutally set up a flushing system with the evaporator in the car. I took everything else out and cleaned and flushed it all. I replaced the receiver/dryer, the expansion valve (this was where my problem was anyway), the condender in the front (I blew a hole in that when I was trying to get it goig without doing the work Wink), and blew out all the hoses. I took the compressor apart, cleaned it in and out. I replaced all o-rings and added the appropriate oil, then used R-12.

The biggest pain, imho, was the evaporator. I did flush it, and it had no leaks. It would have been a crapload easier to have flused it outside of the car, but it was what it was.

See picture of the setup I used to flush that puppy below...

(The yellow hose is sitting above the bucket I used to trap the flush, but it's covered so it wouldn't splash everwhere as I flushed and dried it out):

I used hose clamps to make sure those hoses wouldn't pop off and soak the car with that awful flush stuff...

Here's a picture of the evaporator in place, at least in my car:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: